Modding guide (general to advanced)

Recovery of tooters’s Post on Dec 3, 2015 at 2:46 PM

Last updated Dec 3, 2015 at 2:46 PM

@Space Fish , @Wilfre M. and myself set out to make this months ago, and it will be continuously updated as they- and any other modders that have anything else they’d like to add, revise it. Just leave a post or pm me and I’ll quote it. Now without further ado, we present to you~!

[​IMG]

Introduction

The plan is to cover everything from A to Z, from a general understanding of how files are read, to full on converting your dungeon fighters into your fav anime characters & more! May your wildest dreams come true fellow modders :dance:
Sorry it isn’t 100% finished yet, I’m uploading what I got so far because it’s taking longer than planned. Being thorough without making a scary wall of text is hard.

12/3/2015- much easier npkindex.ect permissions guide added

9/1/2015- audio guide added

8/9/2015- initial release

Recovery of tooters’s Post on Aug 9, 2015 at 8:08 AM

Acquiring mods & being safe
[​IMG]
Summary

This section needs to be revised by other modders, I don’t venture to foreign sites much. @Toone @Hervey @Space Fish and anyone else

Use caution when viewing foreign sites, people have been finding malware on some of them. I'd also turn on ad block before visiting them as well:

Some foreign mod sites:
Toone’s purpledragonmods: http://purpledragonmods.x10host.com

And of course all the modders on the forums:

(let me know if i missed yours)

Lucifel’s Custom Awakening Corner

Kupo’s Mod Shack

Kaichou Mod Shop

Most modders don't have a thread to call home, if anyone wants anything in this spot lemme know.

Here's a couple compilation threads as well:

Music Pack Compilation Thread

HUD Compilation Thread

Recovery of tooters’s Post on Dec 8, 2016 at 4:13 AM

Last updated Dec 8, 2016 at 4:13 AM

How to install mods & how the game reads them
[​IMG]
REQUIRED STEP TO MAKE MODS SHOW UP
Basic installation
Before anything, you can't mess with the game's files while dfo is open, so close it!

Before any sprite mods will show up, you need to deny permissions in NpkIndex.ect:

REQUIRED STEP TO MAKE MODS SHOW UP

the sound mods work without any tampering, so feel free to skip this step if you only want to use music/voice mods.

the image mods (avatars and anything image related) will require this extra step:

Thanks to MechPopping for simplifying this~

windows xp users see this: http://www.dfonexus.com/threads/installing-mods-in-win-xp.5838/

Alternatively you can use MechPoppings batch file to do this step for you: http://www.dfonexus.com/threads/batch-file-to-enable-mods.11670/

You may also need to hide a file that causes red X's to show when using older mods.

Fixing the problem is always best, but if you can't, here is a way to hide the X:

Red X fix

Red X fix

red x fix download

place it in the ImagePacks2 folder to hide the red X's.

[​IMG]

Once that's done, all you need to do is add a suffix to the end of your modded files: sprite.NPK -> sprite(2).NPK, then drop the file into the ImagePacks2 folder, or the Soundpacks folder respectively. Example:

• sprite_character(2).NPK would go into the imagepacks folder.

• sounds_dialog(2).npk would go into the soundpacks folder.

You can put anything you like in the suffix, but the lower the number, the higher priority the file will have. This also applies to alphabetical suffixes, so (a) will show up in-game instead of (b) if both files are put next to eachother.

Don't do anything to the original game files! If the games sees something is up with the original, it will patch it. Mods are just copies of the originals put along side them, so your folder should look something like this with mods:

[​IMG]

As long as the modded file is anywhere above the original, it should work.

There are several ways to make avatar mods, and you might end up downloading any type of them.

[​IMG]

• Skin merged file (all avatars merged into one character_skin.NPK file)

• Default avatar swapped file (the class's default avatar(s) are swapped with the modded file(s), any of the avatars could have a mod inside)

• .img file (this file is a set of .png images that needs to be swapped with your character avatars using Dnfe, more info in the mod creation section)

• Skin merged files are the most common and require a full set of hidden clothing files to prevent avatars from overlapping.

• Default avatar swapped files shouldn't require hiding any of the clothing, but if you see any overlapping, take a screenshot so you know which avatars to hide, then either download the appropriate hidden files, or use Dnfe to hide them yourself. (check box left of .img -> right click, press H)

Hiding them yourself lets you choose the exact problem avatars, while using dummy/blanks will hide ALL avatars in that set.

If the mod requires it, grab hidden/dummy/blank/invisible avatar files from one of your local modders:

http://www.dfonexus.com/threads/dummy-avas-for-all-classes.5911/

Mod compatibility
If the mod you've downloaded is relatively new, chances are it is compatible with other files of the same name. For example Lucifels custom awakening corner contains several sprite_interface_skillcutscene.NPK files, but there will be no conflict if you download one of every subclass and put them all in your imagepacks folder, because Lucifel cleared out unused files within the .npk's, and gave them all unique suffixes.

So if you come across 2 different mods with the same name, try giving them different suffixes and see how it goes.

[​IMG]

The game prioritizes the ranger file, but sees that the modder deleted the striker and witch image, so it goes down the list and grabs them from the files below it.

If the ranger, striker, and witch.npk don't collectively contain every awakening .img, the final stop will be the original file, where the rest will be read from.

Making files easy to find & ways to name them
The game doesn't care what you name the file, it's only looking for names inside the file, and its position in your folder. For example you can rename sprite_character_gunner(1).npk -> poopybutt.npk, and it will still be read by the game. What matters is whether the file is positioned above the original file or not:

[​IMG]

X is below S in the alphabet, so it went to the bottom of the folder, and now the modded belt won't be seen in-game.

So if you want all of your mods to stay at the very top of your folder, either prefix it with anything higher than S, or even put a symbol/period there.

You can also put a folder in ImagePacks2. If I'm bored of a mod I toss it in there for later. The game won't load anything in there.

[​IMG]

Notice how the period prefix puts mods at the top of the folder for easy access. (nice tip @BlooSkies )

The windows folder search function works fine too for finding mods if all your mods have something in common in the file name, like a 1 or 2 ect.

Downloaded an odd file?
If you got the mod from a foreign site, it might have a crazy file name or an extension that isn't .NPK

-If the name is a bunch of chinese letters or some other wierdness:

As long as the mod is above the original file in Imagepacks, you can rename it whatever you want. You can try to use google translate to figure out what the original file's name is for organizations sake, or if it's a skill mod check out spacefish's list of class skill names and see if you can find it:

https://sites.google.com/site/dfonpk/classes

It is also possible that the modder shoved a bunch of different mods into one file, so it won't match any original files. Name these files whatever you want, like "assortment.npk", just make sure it starts with something higher than "S" so it's above all the original "sprite" files.

Use Dnfe to check the insides if you need to.

-If the extension ends in something that isn’t .NPK:

.txt = probably full of bullshit links directing to malware, or possibly instructions.

.ogg = raw audio file, you need to import this into an .NPK using Dnfe, more on that in the mod creating section.

.img = "raw" sprite file, containing most likely an entire animation set of .png's. You need to use Dnfe to import this, more on that in the mod creating section.

.exe = i think toone/spacefish mentioned there was a program used to install mods for you, but required the DnF client? .exe's are generally bad news regardless.

Recovery of tooters’s Post on Oct 20, 2016 at 11:25 PM

Last updated Oct 20, 2016 at 11:25 PM

Creating your own mods
[​IMG]
Layer order for manual merging
Some already existing guides
@Wilfre M. has some video tutorials, they're a few years old but should still be helpful:
Summary

Glamador also has tutorials on youtube, but those are pretty outdated and will probably cause more confusion than help at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Glamador/videos

got more? lemme know.

Sprite modding
[​IMG]
Tools & Resources
Only free software will be used in this guide.​
Summary

[​IMG] Dnfe: This is required for all sprite modding. It lets you view, save, and edit all contents within an .NPK file.

[​IMG] Gimp: This is a poor man’s photoshop, I’ve been using it forever.

[​IMG] Bimp: This is an add-on for Gimp, it’s a batch editor that will turn 10 hours of image editing into 10 minutes. (click big blue “installer for windows” button).

[​IMG] Paint.net: Another free photoshop-type program, I don’t know anything about it, but I have seen @Wilfre M. use it.

[​IMG] ImageMagick: I only use this for one thing, and that’s creating “frankenstein” avatars, and by that I mean ripping bits and pieces off of already existing avatars and merging them all together to make a totally unique avatar. I only need this because the gimp batch editor doesn’t have the function needed for this to be possible. More in the frankenstein avatar section. (click the download tab at the top of the ImageMagick site to get it).

[​IMG] GraphicsGale: I haven’t learned this one yet, but I’ve heard the free version is great for creating your own sprites.

[​IMG] Piskel: This is a sprite editor that’s super simple. I wouldn’t go making an entire animation set with this, but it’s great for small sprite edits. It’s a step up from MS paint at least.

Exrpg.com: This is an avatar simulator that gives you the .IMG number of the avatars, making avatar modding much easier. Use google translate to navigate (chrome can right click>translate), and be sure to change the database at the top right to “KOR” or “CHN” or anything other than USA really…

Database of skill locations: Spacefish and Redwaveslash put together a site to help you find which .NPK the skill you want to edit will be in.

Organization is important

I highly recommend making a folder to contain all your mod projects, even simple avatar mods or sprite recolors can create a confusing mess of folders and files if you arn't organized.

[​IMG]

Preparation is everything for large projects. Add as many sub-folders as you need, label them smartly ect.

Preparations
You'll need to download and read up on Dnfe first, check out all the drop down menu translations. http://www.dfonexus.com/threads/dnfe-3-0-usage-guide.372/

Start by copying the avatar files you want to modify from ImagePacks, and pasting them into your mod project folder.

[​IMG]

(growtype contains the class advancement sprites.)

Remember to add a suffix before putting finished mods into Imagepacks (example: sprite(2 mod).NPK)

Simple swaps
Once you've picked out the avatars you want with an avatar simulator, now you just need to swap them with what you're wearing currently.

The numbers given by the simulator tell you what .img to swap with. Open up your copied avatar.NPK files one by one, find which avatar you're wearing, right click it and select the first option "swap this .img with another" or just press "w". Once that's selected, go find the .img you want to swap it with, right click it and select the same option again. The two files have now switched places.

Do this for all the .NPK's you've copied, then add a suffix to the files, and you're ready to drop them in ImagePacks and enjoy.

[​IMG]

Common issues you might run into:

The avatars you want might have more .img files than the ones you want to swap with, or vice versa, or they might have a different letter at the end.

Both problems will require looking at the merge order list in space fish's Dnfe guide.

[​IMG]

shoes…f

belt…f

pants…f

coat…f

neck…f

face…a

weapon…c

cap…c

hair…c

neck…e

coat…c

neck…c

weapon…a

cap…a

hair…a

belt…c

face…c

neck…a

coat…a

belt…a

pants…a

shoes…a

pants…b

pants…d

shoes…b

belt…b

neck…b

coat…b

belt…d

hair…b

cap…b

weapon…b

neck…d

coat…d

hair…d

cap…d

weapon…d

face…b

• If your avatar has more .img files than the one you want to swap with, you'll have an excess piece of clothing you need to hide, else it will overlap your mod. To hide any .img's you don't need, check the box to the left of the .img, then right click the file -> press "H" (hide image).

• If the avatar you want has more .img files than you have to swap with, you need to merge them. To add avatars to the merge list, use right click and press "V", once you've added what you'd like to merge, right click again and select the 7th option, this opens the merge window. You can click and drag the files into the proper order here, make sure you read the merge order list.

If you're lucky you'll only need to merge similar .img files, for example merging pants B to pants D is fine because they are next to each other in the merge list, but if you want to merge belt D to belt A for example, you may have clipping issues since there are coat/pant/shoe files that need to go in between those two .img's.

If you run into that issue, you'll need to right click the .img and press "S" (save), save the .img to your project folder, then consult the merge order list to see which avatar is closest, for example belt D and coat D would work. Open the coat .NPK, find coat D and add it to the merge list, then right click it and press "B" (add another .img to merge list), navigate to the belt D and add it to the list. Merge them and you're set.

• If the .img you want to swap with doesn't have the same letter as the one you're wearing, check what is in between those letters in the merge list guide, if they don't look like they'll cause clipping, try swapping them. If it looks like there are avatars layered between the two letters, you might want to merge the .img to something to prevent clipping. Merge guide in paragraph above.

Already have an .img file?
If you've downloaded a mod and it ended up giving you one or more .img files:

• If it's only one file, it's either skin merged, or fully merged clothing excluding the skin.

[​IMG]

If you don't know which, open up any avatar.npk you've copied and right click any .img file on the left you don't care about, and use the "replace" function (or just press "R"), and navigate to your .img file, double click the file, or press open. Once it finishes you'll get to see what the mod is. Feel free to right click "remove" the mod afterwards, the game will read the deleted file from the original .npk.

• If it has the skin merged into the clothing, the popular option is to swap it with your naked skin file, and hide ALL clothing avatars so everyone playing your class will look like your mod. (I prefer using the next option below, though you will see some people walking around with funny avatars afterwards.)

• If it's only a clothing merge and has no skin, you can swap it with any piece of clothing you want, I like using the pants, so people arn't walking around pantless when you're done. After swapping it with your pants, open up the rest of your copied avatar .npk's, find whatever clothing you're wearing (avatar simulator helps find them), check the box to the left of the .img's then right click "hide" them (press H). This prevents them from overlapping your mod.

• If it's multiple .img files, you'll have to either merge them or swap them individually.

[​IMG]

• You may have to merge some of them depending on the avatars you're wearing, more info on that in "Common issues you might run into" section above.

• They might not have letters on them, making the merge layer guide pretty much useless. You'll have to eyeball the avatars and guess which layer they should be swapped with. You can always swap them again if you notice clipping in-game.

Avatar merging & creating files anybody can use

Since everyone wears different avatars, if you want to give out your avatar mod publicly, you'll have to either merge them or release the individual .img's so people can swap them themselves.

Uploading .img files
Open up all of your modified avatar .NPK files, right click all of your modified avatars and press "S" (save). Put them all into your mod project folder, then you can easily put them all into a .zip or .rar and upload them to the internets.
Merging all .img files into one .npk
*check space fish's Dnfe guide for picture references*

First save all of your modded avatar .img files into your mod project folder, then go into your skin.npk. Here you can right click on a skin ->press V (add to merge list), then right click it again and press B (add other to merge list), now you can navigate to where you save all of those avatar .img files, and select ALL of them, then press open. Once that's done, right click the skin again, and press the 7th option down to open the merge menu.

Once the merge menu is open, drag the .img files into the correct order using the merge layer list as a guide:

shoes…f

belt…f

pants…f

coat…f

neck…f

face…a

weapon…c

cap…c

hair…c

neck…e

coat…c

neck…c

weapon…a

cap…a

hair…a

belt…c

face…c

neck…a

coat…a

belt…a

pants…a

shoes…a

pants…b

pants…d

shoes…b

belt…b

neck…b

coat…b

belt…d

hair…b

cap…b

weapon…b

neck…d

coat…d

hair…d

cap…d

weapon…d

face…b

Once they're all merged, right click-> save that .img, then use right click-> "R" (replace) on all the other skin colors to replace them with your newly merged .img file. Once everything has been replaced, you're ready to upload that skin.NPK to the internets.

You could also do the same procedure without the skin .img, this will give people a clothing merged file that they can add whatever skin color they want to. You'll probably want to release this as a single merged .img file though.

Skill and avatar recoloring
Summary

Here is a quick skill recolor guide by @mluckenbill

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1h_69_WEijoxdIAdDZfK0hUcU-Te388fS7xOwGRobPTE/edit?usp=sharing

Still typing~ hang tight

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Frankenstein avatars
Summary

I've hit my image limit, see frankenstein guide in post below

Making custom sprites
Summary

Still typing~ hang tight

Audio modding
[​IMG]
Summary
Tools & Resources
Only free software will be used in this guide​
[​IMG]Audacity: This records, converts file type, and more!

[​IMG] Dnfe: This is required to mod sound effects. It lets you view, save, and edit all contents within an .NPK file.

ClipConverter: I use this to grab the highest quality audio from youtube videos. There have been more options coming and going online, so google around if this one doesn’t work for you.

Music Modding
Summary

There is a Music folder in the dfo directory, within that you'll find 98% of the game's music files. Here you can listen to the music and overwrite any songs you want with your own.

[​IMG]

To overwrite dfo's music with your own file:

1. Acquire audio.

If the file you want can't be opened in Audacity (ex. youtube video), you can make it an audio file by recording it with Audacity, or ClipConverter if it's a youtube vid.

2. Adjust audio volume.

Open up Audacity, and drag your audio file into it. Here you can slide the volume bar to the left of the file to adjust it. Listen to any of dfo's music files to try and match it as close as you can, then continue to step 3.

[​IMG]

3. Export file.

Neople uses Ogg as the file type, but Dnfe will read just about any audio file (even MIDI lol).

File->export->save.

[​IMG]

4. Rename file.

Unlike .npk modding, .ogg files need to be overwritten to be read, so you'll have to rename your file to match the original in order to overwrite it.

[​IMG]

And that's it =)

Sound effect & voice modding
Summary

All sound effects & voices are found in the SoundPacks folder in the dfo directory.

[​IMG]

These are .npk files and need to be opened with Dnfe to be modified.

Once open in Dnfe, you can listen to the audio by clicking on the .ogg files, and edit them by right clicking.

The audio right click menu is basically the same as the sprite right click menu.

[​IMG]

To replace an .ogg file with your own, use right click-> press R (replace). The file doesn't need to be .ogg to work (even midi files work lol).

The file name does not need to be the same, you can replace attk_1.ogg with fartnoise.ogg without issues.

To make the finished NPK file more compatible with other mods (ex. someone has monk mod, and wants your avenger mod as well) you can clean out un-modded files from the NPK. Use right click-> press C (select all) and then un-check your modded files, then right click-> press the last option. This will delete all un-needed files from your mod, making it possible to stack your mod along side others, as long as their mod contains files you've deleted.

Some tips & tricks
Summary
  • Want to add a voice clip to a skill that has no voice clip? Right click-> save the skills sound effect.ogg to your computer, and add it to your voice clip in audacity. Now you can right click-> replace the sound effect file and add this new file to it, so you'll magically have a new voice file too =)
(i did this for hurricane roll in my ippo mod for example)
  • Making a voice pack by recording voice files from your favorite tv show? If you don't want it to sound shit in-game I highly recommend equalizing the left/right channels by splitting the stereo audio to mono:
[​IMG]

This is the best way I can explain it:

[​IMG]

You want it to sound like all voice clips are coming from your characters head, so equalize them files!

• Background noise in your recordings? Audacity has a noise removal tool, in effects-> noise removal. You can change the filter intensity to your liking for the best result. This usually only works well for very minor noise though.
  • Test out all of Audacities effects, I use "delay" for most of the more intense voice clips, it's basically echo with more options. I use fade in/fade out a lot too if an audio clip doesn't start or end smoothly.

Recovery of tooters’s Post on Jan 26, 2017 at 4:01 AM

Last updated Jan 26, 2017 at 4:01 AM

Frankenstein avatars
Summary

There are ways to batch edit sprites, removing bits and pieces from avatars to re-purpose.

[​IMG]

Tools used
[​IMG] Dnfe: This is required for all sprite modding. It lets you view, save, and edit all contents within an .NPK file.

[​IMG] Gimp - prerequisite for Bimp.

[​IMG] Bimp- a batch editor add on for Gimp.

[​IMG] ImageMagick- an image manipulator, it has features that bimp can’t do.

How removing pieces of an avatar works
There are a few ways to do this depending on the situation:

Option 1. Using Imagemagick and Bimp to batch remove colors you don’t want–

This is the fastest way, but only works if the thing you want is a different color than the rest of the avatar.

[​IMG]

Option 2. Using a series of merges to cover up what you don't want, followed by color removal.

This is the 2nd fastest way to single out what you want, if color removal isn't enough, but it's very situational.

For example, I want this muscle top combined with this jacket top, but I need to remove the excess muscles bulging out the edges:

[​IMG]

Option 3. Remove what you don't want by hand, one frame at a time.

Sometimes batch removal just isn't an option at all, if that's the case you'll have to edit every frame by hand.

I wanted these shoulder pads, and the fastest way I found was to drag every picture one by one into MS paint and use the eraser tool.

[​IMG]

Now on to the meat and potatoes!

How to perform all 3 options
Preparation

First of all, make a mod folder if you haven't already, we're about to make a hot mess!

I'll be working in a sub-folder called "dante mgunner"

[​IMG]

Within the folder, copy & paste all the .npk files that contain the avatars you want to frankenstein.

Then, make another copy of one of the .npk files (I used the skin file), and rename it something like "work in progress". This file will be our work horse for merging and holding important sprite coordinates, so we don't make a mess in the other .npk's in case we need clean files later.

Open your .npk's up and save the .img files you wish to frankenstein into the project folder (right click the avatar -> press S). Also, right click one of the images in the animation set and right click -> press the 2nd option (save all images). If you haven't set the export directory, go find the folder these images were save to, and put them into your project folder.

Now you have a folder with clean .npks, .imgs, .pngs, and one .npk to work in.

[​IMG]

Open up your "work in progress".npk file. Right click the first .img and press R (replace), then replace it with one of the .img files you want to frankenstein. Go down the list repeating this until all of the .img files you want to edit are inside of the "work in progress.npk" file.

This should be the only .npk we need open from now on, if all goes well.

How to perform option 1. The color removal
You need Gimp, Bimp, and Imagemagick for this, so download those first.

Imagemagick uses your command prompt to do it's dirty work.

1. Run your command prompt (cmd.exe), every windows user has one.

[​IMG]

Then type cd, and hit spacebar once.

[​IMG]

1. Open the folder containing the images you want to edit, and copy paste the folder directory into the command prompt.

[​IMG]

Then press enter.

1. Now copy & paste this text into the command prompt:

FOR %G IN ("*.png") DO convert "%G" -transparent #374633 "%G"

DON'T PRESS ENTER YET

[​IMG]

4.Open one of the images in the folder you're editing, and zoom in on it for a good look at the colors, then open Gimp.

Use Gimp's color picker to get the html notation that you want to remove.

1. Go back into the command prompt and replace #374633 with the color notation you want removed.

[​IMG]

Press enter, and watch the magic happen! Every image in that folder will have that color removed.

Go back into the command prompt, and press the up arrow key, this will bring back the previous command.

Use the color picker again to select the next color you want removed, replace the color notation in the command prompt, press enter, rinse and repeat until every color you want removed is gone!

[​IMG]

But we're not done yet! ImageMagick automatically converts every .png into an indexed file, which won't work with Dnfe, and can't be recolored properly either. We need to convert these images back into RGB format or they won't be usable. For some reason ImageMagick's RGB converter doesn't do shit, so we need to use Bimp to batch convert the files back into RGB files.

[​IMG]

Converting indexed files into RGB files

First open up Gimp, then to open Bimp go to file -> Batch Image Manipulation.

[​IMG]

Click Add and change format and compression.

Then set it to .png and UNCHECK save background color. Even if the background is transparent, somehow Dnfe knows and it won't import properly.

[​IMG]

Press Add again, and select "other gimp procedure".

Type "rgb" in the search box, and select the second option down, then press OK.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now click "Add images -> Add folders", then navigate to the folder you want to convert to RGB.

[​IMG]

Then click on the "Output folder" to change the output. I set it to the same as the input folder, so there's less folders to deal with.

Press apply and let it do its thing.

[​IMG]

Your images are now in RGB.

At this point you can use Bimp to recolor the avatars, or move on to putting them back into your .npk file.

Avatar recoloring guide in "Creating your own mods" section.

Putting the new images into the .NPK

1. Open up your "work in progress.NPK" and find the .IMG file that you've been messing with. Make sure it's the right file, because this file contains the proper coordinates! If you swap your new .png's with the wrong .IMG, your avatar will be floating off your body when you log in.

2. Right click on one of the .png files in the animation set, and click the swap button.

[​IMG]

1. The swap settings.

[​IMG]

• Check the 2nd box (swap all).

• Click the white box to select your input folder.

• I always check 32bit as a habit (I've had some bad results with default)

• Uncheck the last box, this turns off the coordinate auto adjust, I always uncheck this as a habit as well. I don't understand how it works so I don't mess with it lol.

• Hit OK (highlighted button)

1. Now that the old avatar is swapped with the new one, you should save this .IMG file to your computer.

Right click the .IMG file, and press S (save). Put it in your project folder and rename it whatever you like.

[​IMG]

1. This .img file can be swapped/ merged with whatever .img you'd like. At this point you can swap it into the clean coat.npk file, and put that into imagepacks and call it a day, but I want it merged with the muscles top, so I need to move on to the next part of the guide~
How to perform option 2. Isolation by merging and white removal
*This section is written assuming you've read the option 1 guide above*

The muscle top merge is pretty much explained in the preview image to this section, so instead I'm going to move on to dante's jacket strap, since it uses the exact same method. The arm straps are the same color as the chest strap, and are sticking out of the sleeves, so they need the merge removal treatment.

I isolated the chest muscles and the straps using the color removal method in the previous section. Now the next part is recoloring that chest pure white.

Batch recoloring avatars to a solid color

I usually choose pure white (#ffffff) because the avatars hardly ever have pure white, so I don't have to worry about accidentally removing parts of the avatar I want to keep.

1. Open Bimp

2. Click Add -> change format and compression -> set to .png and UNCHECK "save background color" (picture guide in previous section).

3. Click Add -> Other Gimp procedure -> type "bright", then click on brightness-contrast and set the numbers of both up to 127.

[​IMG]

1. Set the input and output folders (picture guide in previous section).

2. At this point you can click on the picture for a preview to make sure it's pure white, if it is then hit Apply and let it work its magic.

3. Once you have a folder full of white avatars, open up your .npk and turn them into an .IMG file for the next step. (guide for all this in the previous section.

[​IMG]

The merge

Now we need to merge the white chest to the straps, you can use SpaceFish's Dnfe guide for this.

1. Open your "work in progress.npk", right click any .img file, and press B (add external file to merge list). Press the text just above the white box to add the white chest .img to the merge list. Repeat this to add the straps.img to the merge list as well.

2. Right click any .img file you don't care about, and select the option just below (B), this will open the merge list. Make sure the white is on top, or else this trick won't work.

[​IMG]

Press the button on the far bottom left to activate the merge.

1. Now that they're merged, you can export all of the .pngs in the animation set to your project folder, and remove the white from all of the .png's.

(Read the color removal guide above for step 3 details)

1. Once the white is removed, you can recolor these new straps white and basically rinse and repeat until you're left with what you want.

still typing hang tight

Recovery of Space Fish’s Post on Aug 9, 2015 at 5:29 PM

This needs a lot of work. I split up the sections like I mentioned, but it's still pretty hard to find anything because of how much information is in this. Leave the 4th post, even though it's not being used right now.

I'm gonna prematurely sticky this. Feedback on how to better organize the information, or on the information its self, is welcome.

Recovery of tooters’s Post on Sep 1, 2015 at 7:04 AM

audio modding section has been worked on

Recovery of LostShark’s Post on Jan 3, 2016 at 12:08 AM

Last updated Jan 3, 2016 at 12:08 AM

How have I never heard of gimp before? Thanks so much for this :teacher:

Edit: I just tried out Bimp, 11/10. No more exporting individual frames, or changing all pngs in a set to RGB manually. It usually doesn't take to long to manually do it, but for a big project these are super useful! ImageMagic too, thanks again.

Recovery of tooters’s Post on Dec 3, 2015 at 10:48 AM

wait till you see what Bimp can do!

Everyone please use MechPoppings new NpkIndex.ect permissions change (picture guide in the "how to install mods" section).

I used his guide a month ago and haven't had to touch the file since. I think it's safe to say this is a one time edit and forget it deal =D

Sorry the mod crafting section is still empty, I'm going to try and finish that soon, and see if the guide can be simplified as a whole somehow.

Recovery of Clarrisia’s Post on Dec 22, 2015 at 10:10 PM

So what do I do if I don't have the Authenticated Users thing that was mentioned in "How to install mods"?

Recovery of tooters’s Post on Dec 22, 2015 at 11:30 PM

what version of windows are you using?

Recovery of Clarrisia’s Post on Dec 23, 2015 at 9:48 AM

Windows 7, 64bit.

I can see System, Administrators, Users but nothing else. The owner of the file according to the properties is Administrators, if that helps at all.

Recovery of LostShark’s Post on Dec 23, 2015 at 10:06 AM

This video also shows you how to add a user/group. I don't personally have windows 7 but I hope this helps.

Recovery of Clarrisia’s Post on Dec 23, 2015 at 11:14 AM

Last updated Dec 23, 2015 at 11:14 AM

Testing this out. Will report back. Thanks for the video!

EDIT: Can confirm this works. Might be only me with the problem, but it's fixed now. Thanks LostShark.

Recovery of LostShark’s Post on Dec 23, 2015 at 11:41 AM

You’re welcome. Glad your problem is solved.:)

Recovery of tooters’s Post on Jun 30, 2016 at 11:18 AM

Important update!

The “Red X fix” file is now outdated and is causing the hp/mp bars to dissapear, please download the updated file!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/57fzgepnurk85c8/MOD+v.1+red+x+fix+sprite_interface.NPK

uiScreenShot2016_0630_104846682.png

Recovery of Straw Hat Man’s Post on Aug 9, 2016 at 4:12 PM

Psssy, I'm not sure if it's just me but…

I run on Windows 8.1 (Yes, it's as crap as everyone says) and there's a neat little check box on the bottom of the Permissions tab that says "Read-Only"

:thumbsup:

Recovery of manny3574’s Post on Aug 9, 2016 at 11:31 PM

wdf just happened cant access te create ur own mods portion

Recovery of Space Fish’s Post on Aug 9, 2016 at 11:39 PM

Refresh and wait for the page to finish loading before trying to open a spoiler tag.

It'll return an error if you attempt to open it while its loading.

Recovery of mluckenbill’s Post on Aug 13, 2016 at 11:29 PM

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1h_69_WEijoxdIAdDZfK0hUcU-Te388fS7xOwGRobPTE/edit?usp=sharing

Here's a google doc presenation of the pdf.