(WIP) RaiseTheBar's Battle Mage Guide (DFOG)

Discussion in 'Battlemage' started by RaiseTheBar, Oct 12, 2015.

1. RaiseTheBar aka MrSirWellingtonMD

IGN:
    YouFkingBaka
    Guild:
    Desu
    Server:
    Cain
    Note: This guide isn't ready yet.

Hello, my name is RaiseTheBar. I am the GM of the guild Desu that has been playing Battle Mage since OBT. I know that a lot of individuals are perplexed on what to build or how to play their Battle Mages. Thus, I have written this guide to help my fellow Battle Mages understand all the ins-and-outs of our beloved loli.

Sections:
    • Pros and Cons
    • Skills
    • Magic vs Physical
    • Pole vs Spear
    • PvE Playstyle
    • PvP Playstyle
    • Black Dragon Tournament
    • Otherverse
    • Bugs

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  2. RaiseTheBar aka MrSirWellingtonMD

IGN:
    YouFkingBaka
    Guild:
    Desu
    Server:
    Cain
    Pros and Cons

Pros
    • Button mash-y
    • Fast and mobile
    • Engaging combos
    • Insane buffs
    • Strong in PvE and PvP
    • 1st and 2nd awakenings give super armor which makes a lot of monsters laughably easy
    Cons
    • Button mash-y
    • No y-axis and low z-axis skills (Exceptions: Teana, Ultimate Punto Wave (maybe?))
    • Lackluster skills (in the beginning)
    • Steep learning curve (PvP especially)
    • Weak endgame until you get proper gear
    • Tower of Despair and the 2nd awakening quest can be nightmarish

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  3. RaiseTheBar aka MrSirWellingtonMD

IGN:
    YouFkingBaka
    Guild:
    Desu
    Server:
    Cain
    Skills

In this section I will go over the Battle Mage skills, give my personal recommendation of what is good in ENDGAME builds, and why. The recommendations will be split into three categories Magic, Physical, and PvP. I also think the DFO Battle Mage wiki did a good job on explaining some of the basics, so to conserve space I will link it here. (Battle Mage Basics are at the bottom of the page)

IMPORTANT: THE SKILLS I RECOMMEND ARE ALL BIASED WITH MY OPINION, LEVEL UP WHATEVER YOU WANT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~General and Female Mage Skills~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The following includes need-to-know about the general and female mage skills. It is important to note that if a skill is not included here, it is not needed.
    • [​IMG] Quick Rebound/[​IMG] Phase Shift - These are what I like to call "hero skills" they will save your life multiple times. They are good in PvE and invaluable in PvP. Note: Holding 'c' extends the invincibility of Quick Rebound and you can choose which direction to Phase Shift with the arrow keys.
      • Recommendation:
        • Magic and Physical: Max/1
        • PvP: Max/Max
    • [​IMG] Focus: Physical Crit/[​IMG] Focus: Magical Crit - Choose one depending on your build. You get 10% crit chance at max level. For PvP you can opt to get both.
      • Recommendation:
        • Magic: 0/Max
        • Physical: Max/0
        • PvP: Max/Max or 0/0
    • [​IMG] Ancient Memory/[​IMG] Ancient Library/[​IMG] Elemental Burn - At max level these skills can give around ~1200 bonus int combined. I would like to point out that Elemental burn is disgusting to upkeep (Florae, Frost, Lantern, and Pluto every 16 seconds (kill me)), but gives the most bonus int (~700).
      • Recommendation:
        • Magic: Max/Max/Max, 0/Max/0, or 0/0/0
          • Getting these buffs depends on your build. Maxing all buffs is recommended for one-shot burst builds (Chaser Press, Fusion Chaser). If you are tight on SP, maxing only Ancient Library is okay. If you hate rebuffing, then don't get these skills :^)
        • Physical: 0/0/0 (Duh)
        • PvP: 0/0/0
          • SP is better spent in other skills and your opponent is not going to wait for you to cast buffs.
    • Mana Shield - Mana Shield is a great defense to keep you from dying.
      • Recommendation:
        • Magic and Physical: 1
          • At endgame everything basically one shots you, so it is better to dump the SP elsewhere. If you kill enemies fast enough, they won't damage you anyways.
        • PvP: Max
          • Without mana shield this is your character: low priority skills -> make a mistake -> get caught -> leather -> dead in one combo
    • Hodor - The god of PvP. Hodor is a useful distraction and can interrupt enemy combos in PvP. He is also useful in the Black Dragon Tournament for 2nd awakening.
      • Recommendation:
        • Magic and Physical: 1 (by default)
    • Magic Festival - No.
    • Cheeky Doll Shururu - I'm only mentioning Shurururuararuaursaurs because he is your best friend in the Black Dragon Tournament. If you really like this guy, he is also useful in Chaser Press builds thanks to his magic defense debuff. Not Recommended.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Battle Mage Skills~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The following includes general need-to-know information about the Battle Mage's skills. The sub-section will be divided up into four sub-sub-sections: Chasers, Physical, Magical, Personal Preference.

Chasers & Basic Skills
    • Light Chaser - Fixed damage, launches the enemy upwards, gives attack speed (at lvl 27: +??% PvE, +??% PvP). Leveling Light Chaser also levels up Sky Uppercut.
      • Sky Uppercut - Percent damage, knocks enemies upwards, moves your character forward, holding down or up while pressing Sky Uppercut will make your character do a V or ^ like movement.
      • Recommendation
        • Magic: 1 (default)
          • Most magic builds (i.e. relentless chaser) don't need the bonus attack speed.
        • Physical: Max
          • Gotta attack sanic fast.
    • Fire Chaser - Fixed damage, launches the enemy away from your character, gives bonus strength and int (at lvl 27: +??str/int PvE, +??str/int PvP). Leveling Fire Chaser also levels up Palm Blast.
      • Palm Blast - Percent damage, knocks enemies away from your character, charging the skill gives super armor and bounces enemies off of walls.
      • Recommendation
        • Magic, Physical, and PvP: Max
          • The strength and int buff from fire chaser is too good to pass up, this skill MUST ALWAYS BE MAXED.
    • Shadow Chaser - Fixed damage, launches the enemy towards your character, gives bonus physical crit and magical crit (at lvl 27: +??% PvE, +??%PvP). Leveling Shadow Chaser also levels up Stabbing Wheel.
      • Stabbing Wheel - Percent damage, hold, grabs an enemy and slams it behind your character, the enemy is damaged during the grab and the slam. Useful on enemies that can be grabbed to stop them from using a big move on your character. Leveling the TP skill allows you to grab multiple enemies instead of one.
      • Recommendation
        • Magic and Physical: Max until you hit 100% crit chance with the buff
          • Max shadow chaser for the crit buff. Take some SP out of shadow chaser if you are going over 100% crit, and spend the SP elsewhere.
          • It is harder to hit the crit cap in PvP, so max for the highest possible crit chance.
    • Water Chaser - Fixed damage, no knockback, gives bonus armor and slows enemy targets (buff is not that important). Leveling Water Chaser also levels up Dragon Fang.
      • Dragon Fang - Percent damage, 2 sec cd, useful to cancel between skills and basic attacks, slight knockback.
      • Recommendation
        • Magic: Max or 1 (default)
          • Water chaser is good for punto wave + chaser spam builds (relentless chaser) since they have no knockback, which makes it easier to keep monsters inside punto wave. This chaser can be left at 1 if you have higher priority skills in need of SP.
          • Max water chaser for max damage on dragon fang. This recommendation may be controversial, but in my opinion dragon fang is too great a skill to not max. To make full use of dragon fang, you have to basic attack > dragon fang cancel between all of your skills.
          • Defense buff and the slow on enemies still applies in PvP and dragon fang is crucial to adding more damage to your combos.
    • Neutral Chaser - Fixed damage, no knockback, give bonus movespeed (at lvl 27: +??% PvE, +??% PvP). Leveling Neutral Chaser also levels up Pole Master's Expertise.
      • Pole Master's Expertise - PME is the passive that changes your x-x-x string. You basic attack string changes to mock other skills in the order of dragon fang -> palm blast -> wild swing. You also get a slight percent increase (around +20% atk) on your basic attacks.
      • Recommendation
        • Magic: Max or 1 (default)
          • The only reason to max this skill is for the movement speed buff, which helps for positioning and faster clear speeds.
          • Basic attacks will be half of your total damage, so max this.
        • PvP
          • Movement speed is a must in PvP as positioning is crucial for battle mages.
    • Spear Mastery/Pole Mastery - Pick one for free crit and physical attack.
    • Battle Groove - The higher your combo the more bonus strength and int you get. This is the skill you want on avatars, titles, and equips because raising the level of this skills makes all of your other moves stronger as well.
    • Enchanted Swing
    • Multirole
    Physical - Recommended skills to max for Physical Battle Mages
    • Double Swing
    • Full Swing
    • Meteor Dash

Magical - Recommended skills to max for Magical Battle Mages
    • Chaser Generator
    • Fusion Chaser
    • Dragon Strike

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  4. RaiseTheBar aka MrSirWellingtonMD

IGN:
    YouFkingBaka
    Guild:
    Desu
    Server:
    Cain
  5. RaiseTheBar aka MrSirWellingtonMD

IGN:
    YouFkingBaka
    Guild:
    Desu
    Server:
    Cain
  6. RaiseTheBar aka MrSirWellingtonMD

IGN:
    YouFkingBaka
    Guild:
    Desu
    Server:
    Cain
  7. RaiseTheBar aka MrSirWellingtonMD

IGN:
    YouFkingBaka
    Guild:
    Desu
    Server:
    Cain
  8. RaiseTheBar aka MrSirWellingtonMD

IGN:
    YouFkingBaka
    Guild:
    Desu
    Server:
    Cain
  9. RaiseTheBar aka MrSirWellingtonMD

IGN:
    YouFkingBaka
    Guild:
    Desu
    Server:
    Cain
  10. RaiseTheBar aka MrSirWellingtonMD

IGN:
    YouFkingBaka
    Guild:
    Desu
    Server:
    Cain

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)