Tips on witch skills?

Discussion in 'Witch' started by Nezumi, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Nezumi

(Not sure if this is the right forum or not, gonna try it for now)

I've been experimenting with my skill build for my witch (Just hit level 30), and would like some input. Things I've noticed so far, though I might be wrong on some of them:

Aerial Lantern Firebomb: Useless, as Witches have much better ways to deal midair damage.

Elemental Burn: It was nice at level 1, but actually seems to get less useful with each level put into it, as the duration each of the glyphs lasts for goes down, making it harder and harder to keep the Int Buff up for any real amount of time.

Ancient Library: Amazing to the point of being nearly essential. MP restoration, hefty INT buff, and subclass-specific ability to simultaneously cast on yourself and an ally of your choice.

Befriend <Familiar> skills: No real reason not to have these maxed out. Only 10 SP per level, and provide various boosts to a wide variety of skills.

Disenchant: Not been able to tell how good it is. It sounds nice, and gets shortened cooldown from Befriend Jack'o'lantern, but almost nothing at the point in the game I am actually has buffs to remove.

Black Manteau and Devolution Flyswatter: Really essential utility skills. One has temporary invincibility, blind chance, and hefty damage over a wide area while also bunching up enemies for easier attack, while the other has slightly less hefty damage (with a bonus against blinded enemies), wide hit area, and summons usually-friendly monsters on kill.

Enhanced Magic Missile: Another really important utility skill. Hits multiple enemies for solid damage. Longer cooldown than the pre-subclass spells, but a lot more useful overall.

Magic Missile: Don't use at all since class change. Not sure if that's a failure on my part, or just having better alternatives. Keep it in my hotkeys just in case.

Lantern Firebomb, Frost Head, The Pluto, Florae Circle: When I've used them, it's mostly been to keep up Elemental Burn or to hit from a distance when I can't risk getting in close. Seem a lot less useful than they were pre-class-change.

Dust buffs: Really, really nice. Improved damage, switches over to the type that Witch does more of anyway (and can be further influenced by buffs like Elemental Burn and Ancient Library), status effects... been considering whether I should keep trying to keep both maxed, or go all-in on one or the other. Freeze is a more useful status effect, but Death Dust is a better in other regards.

Magic Festival: Meh. The effects are nice, but the 20-second duration leaves me using it a lot less than I might. Should probably use it more.

Lollipop: Very nice. I try to keep it up when I can so I get better results out of spells with a failure/success rate.

Cheeky Doll Shururu/Jackyl: Shururu was already great, and Jackyl makes her even better, with movement, massive explosive damage, and the ability to overcome some of her limitations with enough levels in it. Downside is the fail chance, which can have ugly results.

Hired Summon: Hodor: Blech. Not put any points into and only occasionally actually use. It's not terrible, but I have better places to be putting my SP as Witch.

Mana Shield: Nice. I probably don't have it as high-level as I should, but damage reduction is very handy for a pretty squishy class.

Phase Shift: I put a level in it because it can be handy for getting out of ugly situations, but summoners get a lot more out of it.

EDIT: Fixed a skill name spelling error I keep making.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  2. jmdude Dead Classes of DFO

Guild:
    Ingenious/Communism
    Server:
    Cain
    Ele burn is important, you'll keep at least 2 marks lit up most of the time anyway and you'll definitely have all 4 up before you use a machines.
    Magic fest will get better as you level
    Dust and magic missle are filler type skills using either is fine while leveling.
    Swatter I use for damage but turned off summons at this point cause they started to get annoying.
    Mantaue is a one point wonder but it does damage while leveling so why not, drop it later.

3. moved to witch forum

aerial lantern is literally garbage, unless for troll pvp purposes

EB is highly recommended at higher levels / level cap, but for leveling purposes you can really just skip it honestly

AL is god. that is all

except befriend pluto which is utter garbage unless you invest heavily into dark tree, which you really shouldn't (unless you're really experienced with witches and want to go that wonky melee dark witch pve build which is harder anyway than the free noban aoe t3)

drop the ele skills, except the ones that you absolutely need for EB up, though right now you don't need it at all. I've been able to speedily clear things on my second witch that's level 54/55 or so without EB in my build

freeze dust actually hits really hard now and the freeze is nice utility and happens reasonable often. it used to be one point wonders, but now it's actually viable to max one for leveling

ps befriend pluto increases the scrubbing damage from aerial attacks by up to 20%

festival is like it or leave it. I'm not a fan, but it makes MM spam h i l a r i o u s

candy is core. it's so cheap too

max befriend jacky makes ruru never fail. it's great
    also ruru and jacky are generally must max, esp in fire tree, but overall because decent debuff and jacky hits like a goddamn truck

hodor literally pointless

I have level 1 shield because let's be honest I've played like 6 witches at this point I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing

make sure you have 1 level of palm blast for utility / mobility purposes

1 level of shift is p mandatory too

max swatter and manteau are really nice fillers for damage right now. broomspin is a LOT better now furnace is god, lava is great, rain isn't quite as strong

4. jmdude Dead Classes of DFO

Guild:
    Ingenious/Communism
    Server:
    Cain
    to quote a friend "fail rain does pretty much the same damage as sleeper lava"

5. Nezumi

Saccharin: Thanks for the tips. Mostly stuff I actually already knew, except for a few interesting things -- like that I might wanna ditch Befriend Pluto once I get high enough level that those points actually work better elsewhere. I'd actually been avoiding Palm Blast entirely because I figured it wasn't great for non-Battle-Mages, so thanks for the tip there. Black Manteau and Devolution Flyswatter are, at my current point, some of my heaviest and most frequently used damage dealers, so gonna keep them for a bit. Might ditch later when I'm in a position that I can specialize more, but at level 30, that mainly just leads to lots of extra SP left over.

Gonna try out Acid Rain and Lava Potion now that I have them.

EDIT: Reminder for some of the people responding: I'm level 30 right now. I can only get more out of my character with different builds up to a point right now -- things like, say, dropping Lava Potion or whatever don't make much difference, because I don't actually have anywhere else useful to put those SP just yet.

6. lava rain max was/is old aoe + machine build. it's completely viable

lava is for debuff and slow and dot to make furnace hit harder, rain is for debuff and possible knockdown on sleeper to make drill hit harder

light... is hold slave lol

7. Dowiet

IGN:
    DowChaos
    Guild:
    Kinetic
    Server:
    Cain
    so you just choose one dust buff either death or frost?

8. jmdude Dead Classes of DFO

Guild:
    Ingenious/Communism
    Server:
    Cain
    yeah there's no point in both, they don't stack

9. that would be borderline op if they did

10. CuppaTea

Invest more in lava potion than rain imo. Lava does much more damage than acid rain. Also, use lots of jackyl. Jackyl does a lot of damage with a decently small cd.

11. Ranko

you can only have lvl 1 lava and rain at 30...

witch isn't that strapped for sp, so just get both.

12. Dubin carried by fmage

Also like, isn't the main point of juicyrain at this point the delicious debuffs? I feel like you either go all in with maximum overkill rainy car/juicy furnance spam or put the sp elsewhere.

At lv70.
    THIS SO MUCH

13. Nezumi

Okay, level 35, and I've discovered a disconcertingly effective technique for clearing entire rooms at once. Plant an Acid Rain on top of a Lava Potion. Massive damage over time, plus the Lava Potion makes it hard for them to get out of the killzone. The lava potion does sometimes fail, but you've still got an acid rain out and a decent splash damage from its explosion. You can also toss a Shururu on there if you really want to output heavy damage -- makes it even harder to leave killzone, plus massive explosive damage for anything that survives the DoT. I managed to very easily solo Hard Gold Tunnel by abusing this technique.

Dubin: Your baby creator and mage sig gifs are adorable and wonderful and I need to hug them.

14. Ranko

congrats, you've learned all there is to witch

add emm, manteau, furnace and some sweeping in there and that's it

15. Everspace I will murder your family

Guild:
    Haberdashery
    Welcome to the world of F.Mages

16. BREAKING NEWS, AOE WITCH DOES DAMAGE OVER TIME

17. jmdude Dead Classes of DFO

Guild:
    Ingenious/Communism
    Server:
    Cain
    Just to debunk this so new witches don't get confused with here are the results of a level 11 lava potion and acid rain, with max befriends.Test was done on the robot gobin thing and every thing got full hits except for 1 miss in sleeper rain. As you will see the difference is small and rain is stronger.
    Fail lava [​IMG]
    Success Lava [​IMG]
    Sleeper Lava [​IMG]

Fail Rain [​IMG]
    Success Rain [​IMG]
    Sleeper Rain [​IMG]

Take note that lava potions fire debuff stacks once, and rains stacks 3 times EDIT: it's -20 at max so the water debuff is great

Rain also debuffs physical defense for your party members.

18. Nezumi

Uhm...? I wasn't claiming I'd found some bizarre new strategy that no-one else had ever heard of -- I'd be a little worried if I was the first person who'd ever tried this technique, honestly, because it's not exactly obscure.

I was claiming I found something I wasn't aware of before that proved very effective, and updating on my status with regards to the issues that caused me to bring up this topic.

Why the sudden hostility from people?

19. Everspace I will murder your family

Guild:
    Haberdashery
    I wouldn't say it's hostile, just some teasing.

20. Ranko

all witch mains are huge jerks

my last post wasn't meant to sound hostile, i apologize if it did

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)