The 6th DFOG to kDNF, Translated Response.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mms0208, Mar 8, 2017.

1. mms0208 A Certain Ressurected Translator Passing by

IGN:
    The_Launcher
    Guild:
    FLAG
    Hello folks. mms0208 here.
    I thought if the 6th DFOG to kDNF was jinxed when I was having issue while collecting question, but things went all smoothly while collecting the responses.
    Here, I bring the translated responses from kDNF players.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. What cultural aspects do you think makes the game so popular over there compared to the west, and what are the most complained about aspects of the game? I personally find this to be an amazing game deserving of more attention over here, but people seem to be discouraged early on by the fatigue system and later on by the RNG of epics. Are these aspects very unpopular over there as well? – DFOR Mystic_Clover, 20 points

Other games [T/N: that could have competed with this game] pretty much pulled a trigger on their head by themselves so there’s no replacement for this game. – Ruliweb Nickname Naenikbbaggyeotda (내닉뺏겼다 ㅜ), Rec’d 11 times.
    [T/N: Many games that came after DNF/DFO which was believed to make good competition to DNF like Kritika, Elsword, Closers, Soul Worker, etc, they all failed on managing their own issues and ended up failing, while DNF pretty much lived on.]

Cultural aspect… Well, would it be really sad response if I say… It’s because in South Korea, all the games we get nowadays are F2P games which requires far more money investment, have fewer convenience features [T/N: By convenience feature, it means features like free skill reset or disassembling multiple items at once, etc], badly optimized, and hunting down the monster is not fun at all…?
    The point which gets the most criticism is without a doubt so much reliance on luck. You can easily tell how bad it is when you see people feeling sorry about seeing others getting desired epic/savior weapon by collecting all the small pieces of it. – Ruliweb Nickname Aradmachanghyeophoejang (아라드마창협회장), Rec’d 1 time.

Of course we have a lot of complains. Too much RNG based item farming system compared to other games easily tires the players up. In fact, early popularity of this game was pretty much thanks to freshness for bringing arcade styled game into PC MMO.
    But then as it becomes MMORPG, I think the point we are complaining about is the development team trying to slow down how fast the contents are consumed (like farming gears), neglecting their work. – Ruliweb Nickname KaiKy, Rec’d 1 time.

2. How would you say the ratio of casual to hardcore players is in DnF? I know a few people I have spoken to in game have said they think that DnF players are all completely geared to the max and almost scoffed at the idea of Korean players just playing for fun. I know there are many cultural differences between our games, so I am genuinely curious if there are actually very few players who don't spend significant effort on the game. I mean no offense, and I apologize if this comes off as insensitive or rude. – DFOR DXKirby, 12 Points

Well you are looking at one right now! Yep, I play for fun! Sure, good majority of kDNF players runs hell mode to collect all pieces of epic set. However, among those typical players, there are some players who focus on creating unique character appearance with clone avatars, who collects every possible avatar for character, who draws fan art in professional manner, or comes up with dot art. Even when it comes to gathering materials like Magtonium or Data Chip, there are player who just collects a bit, and there are some who mines them up like machine.
    They say the number of preference equates to number of people on this planet, and South Korea is no exception to that.
    But as doing hell mode for epic gear is pretty much required for end-game contents, if you look at it from that point of view, you might not see much of players who plays for fun. – Ruliweb Nickname Tarotarotcard (타로타로카드), Rec’d 2 times.

If you look at the game community, there are more chance of seeing dedicated players than casual players, so it might look like that’s the ratio of hardcore players and casual players in game, but in fact, there are a lot of casual players around if you look closely. There are quite the number of players who don’t go Raid at all. In my case, until September 2016, I was casual player whose goal in this game was hitting level cap. Rather than playing the game to just gear the character up, there are many player who sticks to the original point of RPG; Role-playing, or try on unusual goal like getting fully equipped with proc items, reaching max level without subclassing, etc. – Ruliweb Nickname Nyamodaejang (냐모대장), Rec’d 2 times.

I think it depends on what factor decides whether a player is hardcore or casual; Whether a player regularly participates Anton Raid, a player regularly participates Luke Raid, or even how many characters does a player sends to raids. Personally, if Anton raid is the one that distinguishes hardcore players and casual players, I’d say the ratio of casual players to hardcore players will be 4:6. Also, judging from a lot of players who does have gears from raid but does not know how the raid works [T/N: Because so many people goes to raid by paying other players who can clear Raid without all players doing their part], or seeing a lot of full channels on Raid day, I think more casual players are trying to become hardcore players. – Ruliweb Nickname NoDapRanger, Rec’d 2 times.

3. What are kdnf's top memes? – DFON Orphane, Rec’d 7 times.

EL(Earringless Loser) – Ruliweb Nickname Nyamodaejang (냐모대장), Rec’d 11 times.

[T/N: Since Earring’s pretty new at this point, and it’s only available from level 90, if there’s a character with Earring slot unlocked, chances are that character will most likely be using the one that’s given from quest, which is Rare (Violet name) in terms of rarity, which wouldn’t improve damage significantly. However, there are some Epic Earrings that does improve damage a lot, and compared to such Earring, Rare Earring’s pretty much good as nothing (With exception of Male Crusader). Thus, players started calling those who do not have Epic Earring as Earringless Loser (귀걸이 없는 찐따, shortened as 귀없찐). In fact, usage of term ‘~less Loser (~없찐)’ is not really restricted to kDNF fandom, and it can be seen in other Korean Internet communities.]

[​IMG]
    I kill you, Meow! – Ruliweb Nickname FreeCon, Rec’d 8 times.

[T/N: Edited original image for translation. This line goes back to August 2014 when Female Mage 2nd Awakening Illustrations were first revealed. Among the 4 image, Witch’s illustration was the center of all the controversy. Witch herself had a problem on the illustration (namely the ear, which looks more like that of a pig then elven ear), but the biggest problem was with homunculus; they looked so awkward, especially the Pluto. One popular kDNF player drew cartoon about this, which this ‘Kill you, mewo (죽인다냥)’ made its first appearance (Image right below). And this pretty much became the term that best summarized whole controversy about Female Mage 2nd Awakening.]

[​IMG]
    ["Familiars. This is the person who re-designed as you are now. What would you do?"
    "I kill you, meow."]

WYNT? – Ruliweb Nickname Sirha, Rec’d 3 times.

[T/N: ‘What is your Nugol Timer record? (님 누골 몇분?, shortened as 님누몇?)’ Beating the Giant Nugol in the Training Room and finding out how long does it take to kill Giant Nugol is often considered as a way to find out how strong/weak certain character is. When this term first came out, if a character could kill Giant Nugol in 2 minutes, they were considered fine damage dealer for Anton Raid. Nowadays.... Few Seconds?]

4. What does kdnf think of our male mage trailer? – DFON Tate, Rec’d 3 times.

Absolute Abomination – Ruliweb Nickname Kimbarkdo (김박도), Rec’d 8 times.

(°д°)...Uh…. Umm…. I don’t know what to say about this! – Ruliweb Nickname M.M.G., Rec’d 4 times.

Please do not share this… - Ruliweb Nickname Hyulick (휴릭), Rec’d 3 times.

5. Are Korean players satisfied with the current DFO's plot and story progression?
    In case the question isn't specific enough for you, here's some sub-questions to make it more clear:
    - Do you think that the Main Story progress too slowly? We're getting optional dungeons (Guild Dungeons, Dark Elf Ruins), balance changes (too many to list) and even new classes (Demonic Lancer, Female Priest) from time to time, but with all this new content... Story content is really lacking (at least that's how it looks to me);
    - Are you okay with possible retcons in Main Story in the future? There was pre-Scenario Mode story and post-Scenario Mode story, and the latter one created some inconsistencies with the former one (for example, in pre-Scenario Mode story it was hinted that Queen Clara could've been Lorian Cornaro, but in post-Scenario Mode story this plotline was dropped and Red Witch plotline was added instead). This might cause some confusion to players, and I heard that there might be some pre-Metastasis plotlines added in the future (not sure if they're gonna be an addition or a retcon to the current story), so people have to re-read the story again and again in order to not miss anything important;
    - Do you think that having Storybooks and Hidden Quests will be enough to fill the gaps in Main Story progression? – DFON Jaðarsormr, Rec'd 2 Times, Only question from DFON that has been submitted before temporary pause due to technical issue.

[T/N: I re-wrote this question as single question, including as much bits as possible from sub-questions when tossing this to kDNF players :)]

I really hate where current story’s going. Although the story before the Great Transition wasn’t perfect, at least it was attractive that it was one of the charming points of DNF. After Great Transition, it’s just terrible. All those unique areas which were there for a long time, they just removed it from game and replaced it with dungeon just for level grind. .As for Luke story, in order to emphasize Luke who has been silent in terms of story all along, they ruined it again and came up with such cheap story that ‘Luke was behind all the bad things that happened in Arad so all of you with right mind must go kill him!’ and I have no more words for that.
    They do try to fill up the plothole of the main story with Story books and/or Hidden quests, but it’s just another contradiction. Characters like Erje, Hiram, Woo, their lines which appeared as flavor text to certain old equipment, differ from what they are getting nowadays. This whole situation of trying to fill up the plothole with another plothole… it just looks like insult to old DNF.
    Personally I think the DNF’s story was at its zenith when level cap was 70, when new otherverse with Ozma and Bakal came out, especially when story about Bakal unfolded. Ever since, the whole DNF story is just like a living dead. The Gate of Time, which came right after it, came up with so many errors.
    Although they plan to do Re-Transition, I’m not interested. After all, it’s all going to be the same. Whole point about DNF story is about defeating all Apostles, but Neople would fail to give right cause for it and will ruin the story again.
    Now I wonder whose turn’s next to be messed up, Prey? Or Kasijas? – Ruliweb Nickname Sirha (시르하), Rec’d 9 times.

No way I’m satisfied lol. Hartz von Krueger is infamous for being the most arrogant character ever, yet doing absolutely nothing in the whole story.
    Originally Apostles all had their own unique identity, their portion in the story, and purpose, but then the Great Transition came, degrading Apostles as Evil fragment of Carloso, then they all became insignificant in story, with exception of Luke, Hilder, and Anton. They are all charming characters, and they deserve better than that, but they are not, and I’m not happy about it. - Ruliweb Nickname Aradmachanghyeophoejang (아라드마창협회장), Rec’d 2 times.

Personally I’m not fond of current story which is pretty much sourceofallevilisnightmare [T/N: This part is intentional for translation]. Now that the Luke, the source of Nightmare is gone, and Neople plans to do Re-transition soon, I’m looking forward to it. – Ruliweb Nickname Nyamodaejang, Rec’d 1 time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so that was the 6th DFOG to kDNF...
    But today there's something else to add.

I've been getting some request on where to find the past communication projects (mostly from DFO Reddit), and I've been thinking out how am I going to work this up... and I now have something that... kinda works. I think.

Click here.

For now, this blog will only serve as place of backing up the communication projects, so chances are it will look plain all the way, lol.

If you have any better suggestion, have any sort of feedback, etc. Feel free to tell me about it via PM, reply, whatever the way you are convenient with.

Thanks for your participation, and have a great day.

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. interesting responses to the first question. reminds me of a thread i made a few months ago on /r/truegaming where one or two people said something similar - it's not that Koreans particularly like excessive, RNG-laden grinding, it's just the best thing they have in a sea of even crappier options.

3. Space Fish Fishstick Van Platin

Server:
    Cain
    I like the lore-related responses. Helps me with the idea that I'm not just fanboying over shitty nostalgia.

4. Tsurugi

Server:
    Cain
    [​IMG] I wonder how he/she feels about the ele bomber pose. Also I agree with Sirha when it comes to luke.

5. Fishman465 Most Opinionated WM in NA

IGN:
    Fishman465
    Guild:
    Fragments
    Server:
    Cain
    That very first answer sums up most of the subgenre outlook, the rest being games stuck in growing pains (good chance both at once). I believe I made a thread over in rants about a similar matter.

6. momochuu smarmy ass bitch

IGN:
    Unconcerned
    Guild:
    Signify
    Server:
    Cain
    this was interesting to read. even kdnf players think the amount of pig lucking required in this game is kinda silly. a lot of people thought koreans were okay with it, which they used to defend how silly hell mode is.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. yeah, like i said earlier. not much of a choice in the matter. Western gamers can just quit DFO for something with less RNG (that's if they can resist the Skinner box long enough to do so). Koreans are "oh DFO looting stucks, let's go play something e- aaaaand there's nothing but Nexon games everywhere I look."

8. now that you mention it, what other games are in the subgenre? the only one i can think of off the top of my head is Mystic Fighter Online, and that went to shit a few years ago.

9. Fishman465 Most Opinionated WM in NA

IGN:
    Fishman465
    Guild:
    Fragments
    Server:
    Cain
    A few though most never make it to NA. Kirita, Closers (maybe) o name a couple though MFO seemed to be very DFOish, making me think that some ex DFO devs were involved. DFO beig as successful as it is, challengers would only be naural.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)