Reasons why I'm quitting. Warning: lots of words!

Discussion in 'Ranting & Venting' started by Grandarex, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Grandarex sure

Before we get into it, I’d like to declare one thing: Everything I say is my personal viewpoint and opinion. I understand that there are people who think differently about what I’m about to say… and that’s totally fine. We can have a discussion below if you’d like. But let’s get started…

The entire reasons for quitting can essentially boils down to the fact that I no longer enjoy the game. But allow me to go into a bit of detail. I need to vent before I leave.

1. The game is no longer fun.

When I got into this game almost a decade ago, it was nothing like any other game I’ve ever played. The combat was unique and fun, the RPG element was great, and it was my very first microtransaction/F2P game ever – so even the whole ‘spending’ experience was neat.

The first character I ever made was Weapon Master. The whole melee combo and cancel system was mind blowing. I had so much fun actually grinding! Eventually, my friends recommended that I play Berserker, since they were cheaper to fund (back in the good ol’ days) and still had the same close range melee action. And they were right. When I realized how fun frenzy, gore cross, and MW was, I immediately made one as my main character, and mained the class until… well, today.

But the meta started shifting faster than I could adapt. Otherverse introduction… 2nd awakening… Epic set items we use today… they all took berserker’s (and many other class’s) meta by the storm and we went from DPS class to Burst class. Instead of going into a room to hack and slash mobs, we simply large AoE 1 shot, move onto the next room, 1 shot clear, move on, 1 shot clear, move on… The game became dull and boring. Worst of all, end game has pigeon holed everyone into this ‘burst damage’ meta, where every class that’s designated to do damage must be able to do large amount of damage in a short span of time, because almost every enemies in Anton and raid have very short window where we do our damage. The fun combo action game that I fell in love with is long gone.

2. The endgame gearing is literal lottery.

I think we all know this. The entire premise of endgame gearing is determined largely by RNG; Epic drops, Anton raid card flips and rewards, reinforcements and amplifications, everything. This is not a good game design. It entices people to spend more time and money into the game so that they have more ‘chances’ at getting the gear they want (read: winning the lottery), but it still boils down to RNG. You may argue that Anton frags from raid and Epic frags in hell mode is there as a ‘safety net’ in case someone is suffering from incredibly bad RNG, but it quite literally takes years of diligent raiding for someone to purchase a savior weapon by gathering the fragments and souls, and it would take tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of hell mode to gather enough fragments to craft an Epic item of your choice. Quite frankly, that’s more time and money I’m willing to invest. And even then, the epic frags are still RNG considering only a handful of fragments drop per run, all weighed towards level 80 epics… and Gabe shows up based on, you guessed it, RNG.

I want to be rewarded for the amount of time and effort I put into the game. Unfortunately, the game only rewards you if you’re extremely lucky or brute force the RNG with sheer amount of money.

3. The game is not made for us.

Many of you might not care about this, but this is something that bothers me ceaselessly. The entire DFOG project is an afterthought. There’s roughly 10 people working on this game, and their only job is to translate and deliver. The game itself is developed for the Asia. All contents, all changes, and all design directions are made there. We are not part of the equation at all. Every one of the feedbacks and suggestions you often see on forums fall on deaf ears. Whatever amazing idea you have will never come true… because the 10 people running this game cannot make those changes. And because of that, this game will never see any technical improvement. The game is pretty much an un-optimized relic where it chugs RAM and leaks memory whenever it feels like it. Other F2P games such as Path of Exile and Warframe are constantly updating their graphics engine as well as the entire game’s optimization to cater to people with less powerful computers.

The game’s P2P connection just wasn’t designed to run on such huge continent like the US, let alone globally. Korea will never need dedicated servers or better netcode because their entire nation is very small (compared to us) and have access to incredibly fast internet thanks to not having a fucking monopoly of ISP. Therefore, we will never get dedicated servers or better netcode.

Silver lining is that because how consistently DFOG is shadowing KDnF, we pretty much have 100% accurate foresight on what’s to come and what changes we can expect and prepare for.

And there you have it; my anecdotal, unsupported, and uncited reasons why I’m leaving this game. TL;DR, I’m not having fun playing the game anymore, and I am not willing to spend the time and money required to hit endgame gear. Feel free to discuss below as to how I’m wrong and I’m dumb for thinking this way. And if you haven’t, check out the giveaway I’m hosting!

Cheers,
    - Carbo

• Agree x 6
    • Like x 3
    • Dislike x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Wizard x 1
    • Classy x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • List
  2. Hova Chasing the wind

Server:
    Cain
    See you dude. Hope you find another game you enjoy as much as you did DFO all those years ago.

3. DaikiAomine

IGN:
    DaikiAomine
    Guild:
    VagrantEX
    Server:
    Cain
    Agree with everything you said, but in the end it's the people that I play with who keep me around or I would have quit for good already. Have a good 1 mate

4. Fishman465 Most Opinionated WM in NA

IGN:
    Fishman465
    Guild:
    Fragments
    Server:
    Cain
    I hope you find something that you enjoy though while I don't entirely agree.... You are not wrong. Particularly on the pervasiveness of the burst meta (perpetuated endlessly by the Korean playerbase) and how Anton's changing things.

Perhaps if Mr. Lee stuck around, things might have grown, but now well... I can't really tell you that you're wrong.

My stance is that I'll try to enjoy it my way as long as I can until either DFOG dies or things creep to the point where regular playing is like a chore/job. At that point I'd go and work on other games. There's not exactly a lack of games that mix beat'em up and RPG bits on PC these days and if you have a PS3 or Vita there's Dragon's Crown. I don't think I'd play another MMO as I don't see anything else appealing yet available.

Godspeed.

5. caveman1095

IGN:
    Xelnar
    Server:
    Cain
    Everything you say is accurate. When I first started playing the game when priest was introduced I immediately made a crusader and stuck with it until today. I believe the character personifies everything I think a cleric in an RPG should be (I always play supports in RPGs) and is really the only reason I play this game. I can't say for sure if the same meta hounds existed back in those days. All I cared about at the time was seeing the new abilities my character would have and how to combine them with my current play style. It was great to have a sense of progression and to explore new options.

I think where we lose interest is exactly where you said, the end game. It really is disheartening to put so much effort into something and get little to no reward. Even more so when you experience others pass you entirely by chance (Savior Weapons being an example). I agree entirely that this doesn't feel like the same game that we used to play about a decade ago (makes me feel old saying that :ohdear:). It feels more like we just speed run this game now more than taking the chance to appreciate what it is. However, we already know nearly everything so the sense of wonder is gone for us. While it does suck for us I honestly hope the current and upcoming player base gets a chance to develop their own fond experiences and memories of the game.

Probably the one thing to take away from this is memories and experiences it has given, back when it was genuinely fun to play. I hope you can take away that much and then some from the community as well. These guys (and gals) have been (from my experiences) more accepting than most others that I have come across and is a huge reason I still play today.

Just a heart-to-heart to let ya know your not alone in that boat but you have more willpower than I. I may not of known ya then or now but I hope you find everything your looking for in your endeavors.

6. Battle Cupcake

IGN:
    Kyomi
    Guild:
    Dream
    Server:
    Cain
    I don't have counters to any of your points. Have fun where you're going; I actually enjoy running Anton Raid because of the opportunities to throw together comps and see if we clear... but it's for that reason I find PUGs more fun than statics. Go figure!

7. Shirouzen Monster of God

Server:
    Cain
    gl bro, have fun in the game of life where the pots are expensive and you don't get any tokens.

gg rip dofharambe

8. Yarigumo Aspiring Space NEET

IGN:
    Yarigumo
    Guild:
    Caliginosity
    Server:
    Cain
    I can only agree with you on your points. I've only been around for about four or five months and I'm already groaning in pain from the endgame gearing process. The only reasons I'm around are because I've got nowhere else to go, my guildies are too entertaining and because I have hopes of 90 cap making the epic grind more accessible to poor people like me.
    Good luck out there, hope you find something else that's to your liking.

9. LOA_Razim

The only part I disagree with at all even a little is that they don't listen or that we are an after thought. They brought dfo back to us after nexon fucked it up and they did a lot to make us happy. That speaks volumes considering games rarely come back from the dead like this one did and even if they do are usually not better than before.

I also miss the old school way the game played the whole walk in a room push one button move on thing has killed a great deal of the fun for me also. I want to play the game more like a beat'em up and this change has completely killed that.

For me one of the biggest issues though is the networking. It kills pvp and for a lot of people party play also. We need this to be fixed but I doubt neople even can given the developers are not familiar with how networking in our region works. There is a HUGE difference between eastern and western networks only companies with the money and resources can overcome that when publishing content globally. Without a western division of neople to iron out the code here in this region you can forget about ever seeing a fix for this issue.

RNG took me a long time to get over. I fucking hate it I won't lie. It really bothered me after the game came back for about the whole first year. I just decided it is what it is and I will push on through the awful RNG. I look at it like this. Will it possibly take me a couple years to get something if RNG is bad? Yeah maybe but I don't plan on going anywhere either so why rush to get everything today. The sooner I finish my gear and max out my character the sooner I have no reason to do anything at all in this game. Reaching the end IS the fun once you get to the top there is nothing left and I know because I have been there a few times now in different games. It's all about the journey not the destination.

On a final note I felt the same way recently. I felt like there was little reason to keep playing. I didn't want to quit but I was having a hard time finding a reason to keep going. I never came up with any kind of answer that kept me playing. It kind of resolved it's self I guess. All I know is I don't still feel that way so much and I am going to just keep playing because I do like the game.

10. Icaro [3 Steps Ahead]

IGN:
    Yuyokochan/Kaalu
    Guild:
    NewWorld
    Server:
    Cain
    unfortunately i agree with a lot of what you said, the only reason i'm still here because i really enjoy this game...even if the gearing process is all behind that gigant wall of RNG
    another factor to take into account are my guildies, we are few but we have to most ammount of fun let it be on discrod shitposting or just playing dfo.
    in the end that's how life is. I hope it goes better for you here on out.

11. Lethologica real class never

Hi Gran.
    You don't remember me, but I certainly remember you.
    A long time ago I struggled withmy berserker near 60 cap, and you were the first person to offer me some advice in the Nexon forums. That's kind of what I think when I see your name, you're this guy who took the time of the day to help a noob like me out a long time ago.
    I'm sorry you aren't having fun anymore, and it's dissappointing to see you go, but good luck whatever happens!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Thanatoes Ayy lamo

The end game is something that's really bothering me and I agree with the lottery thing. I'm at a point in the game where my gear is strong enough for ancients and ov but too weak for Anton and the only way for me to get stronger (I feel) is to spend a decent amount on $ to battle rng. The meta is also contributing to my spite in the end game.

13. SonowRaevius Azure Fox

I understand what it is like when a game suddenly changes from what you knew and loved.

I honestly do hope that you find another game that gives you as much enjoyment as DFO has.

14. Space Fish Fishstick Van Platin

Server:
    Cain
    The ten people thing hasn't been true for a long time.
    Think they talked about it at like the beginning of this year.

15. Fishman465 Most Opinionated WM in NA

IGN:
    Fishman465
    Guild:
    Fragments
    Server:
    Cain
    It started out as a passionate project of Mr Lee's, but after he left it's a bit easy to get that impression as after all this time PvP net code is still messed up, and not much has been done with CMs/CAs, both in communicating with them and filling in the various spots. Not to say the DFOG team doesn't care completely, they're limited by lack of understanding of the west, and the seeming lack of greater support from the rest of neople.

Edited it in response to Space Fish's remark, though I'm not sure if it'd be enough.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  16. Enoch the Fierce Breathe Again

IGN:
    BornThisWhey
    Guild:
    Kinetic
    Server:
    Cain
    I feel for ya. The 'damage window' mechanic has screwed a lot of character concepts and designs over. It used to be where Female Striker was the only burst class, now every new and old character is molded into her archetype.I tried to quit this game over how futile my efforts are but no other game gives me that 'oomph' like DFO and here i am again playing for guranteed rewards like a Gracia set and requiem weapon,

Back in Nexon NA DFO i spent on Cash items like mad, but now i rarely spend on this game because its not worth it and some people here will shame the hell out of you for buying CERA.

Good Luck on your way, i'm also waiting for that game to take me away from DFO (Diablo 4 when)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  17. Save 4 Less TWENTY TWO

IGN:
    Malyx
    Server:
    Cain
    They actually did a recent Developer Note in KDNF where they talked about planned Optimization updates.

18. MetalBatKun

IGN:
    IHealDaCrew
    Server:
    Cain
    Sorry to see you go man, I would leave right now too, but i am having fun with my guildies. I hate rng and miss the old combo feel of the game. I remember getting in trouble ten years ago because i spent liek 6 hours straight in one day. I used to play WM and launcher like crazy because they felt so awesome to play. Now, even though i still play WM, i just feel like it isn't the same. Hope you find a greater game to play. maybe ill see you somewhere else.

19. Fishman465 Most Opinionated WM in NA

IGN:
    Fishman465
    Guild:
    Fragments
    Server:
    Cain

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)