Quick Tips for using Battle Mage in OV

Discussion in 'Battlemage' started by KingofDefeat, Dec 17, 2015.

1. KingofDefeat The King of Being Defeated

IGN:
    Mixia
    Guild:
    Homodachis
    This thread came about, because of a post I commented on in Reddit. It was originally supposed to be a few tips and tricks, but I ended up writing about every dungeon. This isn't necessarily a guide, since a lot of the OV content is missing (I skip rooms that have simple mechanics). I just thought it'd be a good idea to copy-paste what I put on Reddit to here (and add a bit more details), so that it won't get buried in the future and can be easily referred to. I also don't see an OV guide on here, so I hope it turns out to be helpful. If there's anything wrong in here, or if there's anything anybody wants to add, feel free to leave a comment and I'll add it in!

Before reading this, I suggest checking out DFO World Wiki's page on the Interdimensional Rift dungeons if you don't already know the mechanics. These tips were written with the assumption that the reader has at least seen the mechanics for OV and knows what they are. This is also assuming you are level 85 when going into OV. If you're not level 85, most of these tips will still work (anything involving 2nd awakening won't of course), but you'll do less damage, so some may be harder to implement. I also wrote this with magical BM in mind, so there's a severe lack of physical move suggestions, but since the class is basically "chaser spam," I think it's okay.

Quick Tips in OV for Battle Mage

[​IMG]
    • In room 2, you can feed the Gleich easier if you don't have any TP in Stabbing Wheel Upgrade. I suggest learning how to feed it, so you don't have to rely on others to do it. It's a little scary when you try for the first time, but it's easy to do once you get it down. Just make sure to feed the Gleich when the counter is at 2 and you'll be fine. Just stand a few steps away from the Gleich, then when the counter says '2', step forward a bit, turn around, and Stabbing Wheel. It's that easy. Super Armor pots are useful for when the goblins hit you (totally not required, though). An alternative to using Stabbing Wheel is to literally just walk the goblins up to the Gleich and backstep to avoid the explosion. You can do this until you only have goblins with shields and then you have to grab them.
    • In room 3, when Olli flips the first time for the bomb cages, it's best to use a non EX cube move (meaning any cube move above lvl 50) to get him to stop. It's also best to use a non EX cube move to trigger his anti-cube move just before he decloaks and comes out of invincibility. You can also Punto Wave Guardian Olli in his face to trigger his anti-cube move and your attacks will actually destroy the spears as he throws them. I think it's kind of a neat way to make him trigger that move to allow others to use their cubes safely and kill him quickly.
    • In room 5, after everyone throws the oils, you can be the one that throws the skytree nut and grenade. You just have to make sure to use your awakening the moment after you throw the grenade to save yourself from dying.
    • In room 6, do NOT use Dragon Strike(aka Gold Dragon Spear) on the boss if he's pinned down and everyone's kicking the crap out of him. It'll take him out of hitstun and he'll jump out of his carriage earlier. Just use water or fire Enchanted Swing to give him a magical or physical debuff (depending on your party) and Punto Wave + chaser spam him to death. If he jumps out his carriage, he has invincibility when he hits the ground until he stops his animation. If you time Dragon Strike just right, you can stop him from jumping away immediately, allowing your party members to beat on him more.
    [​IMG]
    • In room 1, if you max Hodor, he can be your bait for getting hit. I never really had to do this, but it's an option you can consider if you want. Use Dragon Strike to gather enemies together and to keep enemies away from allies when they're pinned.
    • In room 2, it's easier to separate and corner the puppeteers if you have no TP in Stabbing Wheel Upgrade. Go for the blue one first and then proceed to cube and chaser spam the crap out of each one. Turn off Shadow Chasers if they're giving you trouble. They tend to pull the enemy out of the side and you have to corner them again. It's also possible to Dragon Strike the puppeteers to gather them, then Water Enchanted Swing, Timer Bomb, and EX Launcher them to one-shot them if you're geared enough.
    • In room 3, Stabbing Wheel one of the gold dragons as they appear (I typically grab the one on the top) and push them to the left side. X attacks, Dragon Fang, Palm Blast and chasers are all you need to kill them. Again, turn off Shadow Chasers if they are causing you trouble. It's useful to have Number 28's (the nen master doll that animators can make) on hand for if your party wants to burst this room, since they create a huge Nen Guard the moment they're used. Your party needs a good amount of DPS to do this, so be careful. If your party decides to burst it, the final hit of Ultimate Punto Wave is a safe way to deal a lot of damage and stay within the Nen Guard (Or Healing Wind if you have a Crusader).
    • For room 4 and 5, you can awaken before going into room 4 and beat them down as Teana. If you kill them and Magneus in room 5 fast enough, you can Apostlize for the final room. Teana's moves don't trigger anti-cube moves, so you can go crazy.
    [​IMG]
    • In room 2, Stabbing Wheel is useful for throwing Baulthral onto the mines that the engineers drop. Pushing him to the side and bombarding him with evolution chasers will help pin him in place (though he does have super armor, so be careful). In between beating on him, he'll still spawn the engineers, so if you're good enough, you can manage to keep him and the mines in the same place to kill him faster.
    • In room 6, you can kill the big landrunners by using Dragon Fang or Full Swing + chasers on them far enough away from them so that they don't blow up in your face. This helps control the battlefield a bit. Do NOT use Meteor Dash on the landrunners. Trust me, it gets you killed. Using Dragon Strike on a landrunner may put another party member in danger if you don't kill it with that move. I've done it once or twice...or three times. It's better used on Rangelus anyway.
    [​IMG]
    • In room 3, if your party pins Vanis in place before he jumps, just Punto Wave + chaser spam (and physical move spam). If he jumps, use Stabbing Wheel to pull him toward the center ASAP so he doesn't turn purple. As Tessa says down below, it's actually possible to grab Vanis yourself with Dragon Strike to prevent him from jumping. I've never been successful at it myself, so I assume the timing is very strict.
    • In room 5, you can Apostlize before going into this room and perform the finisher for it the moment you get into it. Just make sure to step forward far enough to hit all 4 demons. I've never actually done this myself, because of fear of failing miserably, but you can be cool unlike me and do it yourself.
    • In room 6, there are some classes that can hit Gaunis while his health is draining from each phase. For example, if you have an ele or a witch in your party that know how to do this, you can use evolution chaser and set your chasers to water. Near the end of the first phase (the part where you step on the platforms in your section as they change), you can run up to Gaunis and hit him with Enchanted Swing to lower his magic defense and kill him faster. The timing is tough, because you have to hit him as his health is draining. It's cool to do, but isn't super necessary. You can EX Chaser him after hitting him with Enchanted Swing, so do it. It'll hit pretty hard. You can also do this in between each other phase if he doesn't die after the first one. (If this gets patched out in the future... oh well... ><)
    [​IMG]
    • In room 2, you can Timer Bomb Tiamat before he teleports and turns invisible to make it easier to find him. Just beat him up otherwise.
    • In room 3, Punto Wave + evolution chasers on Berias makes the ghosts pop up way faster.
    • In room 4, you can Teana before this room and possibly stun Astaros with the broad swing before she does her stupid meditate move. You need to be really quick for this, though.
    • In room 5, Punto Wave helps with breaking Michael's barrier in his second form. Evolution Chasers also help pin him in place.
    • In room 6, Punto Wave immediately to knock Ozma out of his invulnerability. If you have a weapon that does an additional hit (like dragon pole or something like that), it breaks his barrier faster. Within the first 11 seconds of entering this room, he does Betrayal Aura, which can be canceled if you time Dragon Strike well. A neat way of timing this correctly is to use a 10 second cooldown item the moment you enter the boss room and then Dragon Strike just before the cooldown is up and you'll stop the aura, but only if his barrier is down at the time it hits. This is pretty tough to do, so if there's someone with a better grab (like the witch's Ouroboros, or the f brawler's Junk Spin), just let them stop the aura. Otherwise, beat him down with Punto Wave and Ultimate Punto Wave + chaser spam (among physical moves if you're spec'd for that). Also, don't use Dragon Strike for anything except stopping Betrayal Aura in the beginning (if you have to). His barrier refreshes the moment the move lets him go. (Correct me if I'm wrong on this)
    [​IMG]
    • In room 2, cube moves trigger Itrenok's shield, so be careful of that. If there's a witch in the party (or have a witch supporter like me), let them cast Florae Collider and don't attack him until you start seeing damage numbers pop up. After that, you can go crazy and cube to your heart's content. There are probably other classes that can pin him down, too, but I dunno which ones do (and I'm too lazy to check).
    • In room 3, if you become the one that's cursed, keep moving sideways when you see the stalkers appear to make Neiser pop up away from them, and then quickly run back and Fusion Chaser the stalkers to kill them quickly. It shouldn't take much more than that to kill them.
    • In room 4, you can Dragon Strike the Numak clones from one side toward the other when they appear to gather them up and make it easier to kill them.
    • In room 5, don't use Dragon Strike or Punto Wave on Ash Core, since he's invincible while in hitstun. Just X attack, dragon fang, water chaser, EX launcher and fusion chaser him until he dies. Also, using Dragon Strike on the dragons that appear when someone has the frost circle around them momentarily stops them from throwing down the red rocks that block your friend's path back to Ash Core. If you get the circle yourself, use Sky Assault and Palm Blast to help yourself move toward Ash Core faster. Teana is helpful in this room for beating down Ash Core. I actually never thought about it myself (thanks again Tessa), but all you need to do is mash dash attacks and chasers and you'll beat him down. Her Broad Swing will also hold the dragons in place that drop the rocks, too.
    • In room 6, don't Dragon Strike Bakal, since grabbing him will take him out of hitstun and make him fly off earlier. Use Fire Enchanted Swing on his face if your party is mainly physical and use Water Enchanted Swing if your party is mainly magical. Otherwise, since you're short, hitting him in the face is pretty hard, so you kinda have to wait for an opportunity. He doesn't take much damage anywhere else, so just wait for him to lower his head and then Punto + chaser spam his face until he dies.
    As a general note for all of OV, always make sure to use Fusion Chaser to keep the Int, Str, and Crit buffs up as much as possible. Also, Enchanted Swing takes the most recent chaser that was created. Using Evolution Chaser and choosing either water or fire will make it so the next chaser that appears is water or fire. This gives you the ability to easily choose the element of Enchanted Swing. These debuffs from Enchanted Swing are massive, so make sure to use it on bosses and strong monsters!! Even if you don't deal much damage, you can help your party members deal more, so be aware of what type of damage your party members use and support them.

And that's it! I wrote all of this based off of my own experience in OV and what I've heard from others, so these may not be the best ways to deal with stuff (and I may be totally wrong with others). Like I said before, though, if there's anything anyone wants to add or fix, feel free to do so and I'll edit the post. Thanks for reading and good luck!!

EDIT: Thanks Tessa for your input! :D

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  2. Tessa DFO-World Wiki Lead

Some comments.
    Goblin Kingdom
    R2: You can backstep feed for the first ~40 seconds.
    R3 - It's best to non EX cube counter the bomb trap at first, then use another non EX cube to trigger the cube counter right before he decloaks. This allows everyone to cube without worry for about 10 seconds.
    Castle Nebulous
    R2: Depending on your gear, you can tag with GDS/Dragon Strike, water EX Swing and time bomb, then one shot them with an EX chaser.
    Rangelus's Guerrillas
    R2: Push Baulthral to either left or right side wall, then you can pretty much lock him in place with evolution chasers and your skills. The mobs and mines will spawn in the same place so you don't have to worry about repositioning.
    Void Rift
    R3: You can superhold Vanis with GDS/Dragon Strike.
    R6: Depending on your gear and or party, it's possible to one shot Riftmaster with neutral or water EX swing followed by an EX chaser.
    Castle of Bakal
    R5: It's generally easy to Teana down Ash Core quickly through dash attacking+chasers while Ash Core is in SA, and you can Apostlize long before Teana wears off.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  3. KingofDefeat The King of Being Defeated

IGN:
    Mixia
    Guild:
    Homodachis
    Ooh! Good suggestions! I'll add them to the post. I totally forgot about EX Launcher on Gaunis, haha. I was also wondering if Vanis could get grabbed by GDS. I tried a few times and failed. I guess the timing is very strict. I also remember trying to one-shot the puppeteers in Castle Nebulous, but failed. I must've not used Enchanted Swing and Timer Bomb, haha. Grabbing them with GDS is the toughest part, though. Sometimes they separate right when you enter the room, so it requires a bit of luck I suppose.

Thanks for the comments!! :D

EDIT: Okay I changed the original post. It probably wasn't necessary, but I said I would, so I did.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  4. Cross187

IGN:
    FlashLuna
    Guild:
    Cygnus
    I have a bit of input.
    Goblin Kingdom
    R5: If you're worried about Teana not casting fast enough, when playing the bomber, you can use a rod as a swap equip for additional casting speed. Casting speed-spec hat/hair clone avatars work even better (if available). If you don't have Teana available, due to not enough chasers, you can use the invincibility of Stabbing Wheel, via the enemies that spawn in after a moment. You'll have to position yourself to the right of the machine for this.
    Castle of Bakal
    R2: It's possible to pin Itrenok in a ground combo using evolved chasers (activated in the room prior), the first two X attacks, and Dragon Fang. If the evolved chasers run out, the ground combo still somewhat works, since it generates only water chasers, which don't knock down. I believe Fusion Chaser also does not knock down, so this may be used, as well.
    R5: If timed correctly, spamming evolved chasers during [Ultimate] Punto Wave can stun-lock Ash Core, during his super-armored attack. Instead of going into hitstun (since he's in super-armor), he'll freeze in place, due to all the hits. This will give the party more time to quickly burst him down, not to mention bonus damage from counterattacking.

5. KingofDefeat The King of Being Defeated

IGN:
    Mixia
    Guild:
    Homodachis
    Thanks for the input!! Unless this gets a few pages big, I don't think it's totally necessary to edit the first post like it says I will, so I won't (unless you want me to, haha). But yeah, interesting suggestions! Having a rod to switch to for Teana is a neat idea. I don't think the timing is too hard, but it can be tricky. If you don't want to Apostlize for the boss room (for some reason), learning how to save yourself with Stabbing Wheel would be useful as well. I think I might've tried that once (and failed... haha).

I never used evolved chasers to pin Itrenok. I should try that next time! I usually just waited for a witch to start Florae Collider and then promptly beat him down, haha. Also, getting that timing for Ash Core would be pretty hard for sure. It would be amazing though if you achieve it. It would take him down super quick. I'd be careful, though, since hitting him with either Punto Wave any other time would give him massive hitstun. Of course, you can cancel it, but it could prevent your party from damaging him for a short moment.

Thanks, Cross187! :D

6. Tessa DFO-World Wiki Lead

Itrenok usually dies in one Dragon Strike+chasers+ex chaser for me. He won't use his shield if you do it immediately upon entering the room. I push my collider assist button at the same time that I use Dragon Strike just in case

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)