PvE Soul Bender Guide

Discussion in 'Soul Bender' started by Kerath, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Space Fish Fishstick Van Platin

Server:
    Cain
    We don't have the cap.

upload_2015-11-2_15-16-35.png

Swapped out Himan Stella for a King's Book that I still had for some reason.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  2. Kerath Happy 9pasha

IGN:
    Varandas, Jehane
    Guild:
    Ingenious
    Server:
    Cain
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  3. Kerath Happy 9pasha

IGN:
    Varandas, Jehane
    Guild:
    Ingenious
    Server:
    Cain
    Finally getting around to doing some updating. Just changed a bunch of skill descriptions to better fit our post-revamp status. Expect to see more updates over the next week or so, as long as I don't fall off the wagon.

4. Kerath Happy 9pasha

IGN:
    Varandas, Jehane
    Guild:
    Ingenious
    Server:
    Cain
    Fleshed out the gearing section a lot with various Chronicle setups.

5. Ralexinor I'm allergic to stupidity.

Going to point out that maxing Unshackled is never worth it, there's always better things for the SP because Unshackled does trash damage especially for the SP you have to put into it. Ghost Slash is a better investment if you have the spare SP.

I will point out that SB can also participate as physical support, but the gear requirements are a lot higher. You can still reach defense cap in anton raid with Rhasa debuff, but you do need some Spider Queen pieces to help with that. According to yunha the minimum requirement for that in a sell party mostly is 35/6 rhasa level/tp and 9pc unholy dominion (requires swapping to auras). But Rhasa's debuff isn't exactly trash if you spec for it, but the same applies to bremen, really, except you can reach cap with less effort and money.

Other than that, nicely done guide. Crystal Saya is always a max though, the free is very useful for holding.

6. Kerath Happy 9pasha

IGN:
    Varandas, Jehane
    Guild:
    Ingenious
    Server:
    Cain
    The Unshackle thing may be true once you have a pretty solid damage setup, but I can assure you it is most certainly not true during the leveling and gearing up process. For the majority of my solo time, Bremen was topping my damage charts because of its ability to do steady solid damage in a huge AoE. However, I should probably note that it has no real value in Anton content, since it will usually just end up causing you grief and won't cause enough damage to be worth it. Though let's be real, unless you have ridiculous gear, you ain't doing much damage with Ghost Slash, either.

We can do physical support. It's just not really something we're terribly good for, especially when compared to classes like weaponmaster or revamped f.grapper. Unless you know for sure that you will be running with physical dealers or just have extensive resources to ensure you'll fit into any party because you're planning on pugging raid when it comes out, it just doesn't seem worth the bother of jumping through the hoops necessary to get there. Also, I'm not really aiming this guide at sell parties - why on earth would anyone at that veteran a level of raiding experience need a guide? There's a reason why I kinda breezed over the topic of epics and legendaries. By the time you've got that level of resources and investment in the class, I really doubt you need a class guide anymore.

Saya crystal is useful, but must-max is a stretch. There's lots of other places you can throw your SP in our kit that can be pretty useful depending on the situation. Freezes are terrific for soloing most content, but they can be a mixed bag at other times, as any Glacial Master main can tell you. I'd still say it's recommended, though, just to have on hand for those times when it's useful.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  7. Kerath Happy 9pasha

IGN:
    Varandas, Jehane
    Guild:
    Ingenious
    Server:
    Cain
    Due to the changes that were implemented today, quite a lot of what's in this guide is now outdated. I will see about getting it updated sometime in the near future, hopefully. In the meantime, here's a brief summary.

1. All our absolute defense shred was changed to percentage. This is kind of a kick in the pants because the practical values we can attain are a fair bit lower in nearly all cases. Zieg also lost his defense shredding ability.
    2. Bremen TP is now pretty pointless except as a QoL thing or to help Brawlers out. Subs like Song of Himan Stella have gone from being absolutely essential to being paperweights.
    3. This patch is sort of the 'beginning of the end' for Soul Bender supports. From here on out, our ability to bring outstanding support and utility to a party gets steadily eroded in favour of more flavourless damage output. Most people will be happy with this. I'm pretty disappointed. Oh well, it is what it is.

Stay tuned.

8. animus

IGN:
    Hydro
    Guild:
    Communism
    Since we have the free chron set event, I was originally planning to gear my SB alt out with 6 pc UH... should I till grab the free chron set for him? Is UH still good?

9. Kerath Happy 9pasha

IGN:
    Varandas, Jehane
    Guild:
    Ingenious
    Server:
    Cain
    Unholy Dominion is still worth using. It's just not going to have as dramatic an effect on party damage output as it did prior to this balance patch. You now have slightly more slot flexibility as to where you put those 6 pieces, as sub-equip no longer needs to be kept open.

10. Kerath Happy 9pasha

IGN:
    Varandas, Jehane
    Guild:
    Ingenious
    Server:
    Cain
    I'm glad so many people have found this guide helpful in navigating the ins and outs of improving and getting established as a Soul Bender. However, I find myself feeling pretty burnt out in the game, and don't really anticipate being a heavy participant in 90 cap activities on my Bender (or likely any class, for that matter). As a result, I will also most likely cease updating and maintaining this guide. However, I know there's a lot of really excellent and knowledgeable Soul Bender players on this forum who are of constant help in the subclass discussion, and if any of them wanted to take over where I left off using this guide as a jumping off point, I'd be open to that (though with how much is changing, it may be more expedient to just write a new guide. Not sure.) Anyway, feel free to let me know, and best of luck to all you ghost duders in the future.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)