Origin: The Beginning (2017 kDnF Summer Update)

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Jay, Jun 21, 2017.

1. The katana mentions that it leaves "blood mist". I can see it in the video, but what does it do?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  2. Raruna

Yes let's all revive the Blazing Neil days. Let's do THAT.

3. The problem is that gimmick epics are bad or really lackluster. No epic set/weapon that have a gimmick has gone far in the game. I woud like epics that require something before activating it's true power, but the way Neople does this makes wasted effort.

4. Oshawott R-3

IGN:
    Bixlow
    Guild:
    Signify
    Server:
    Cain
    Dark Gothic and some of the 85 Epic Sets are somewhat gimmicky (particularly Natural Guardian) and are good.

Obviously they don't compare to the 90 Epic Sets thanks to ridiculous power spike of the armors and Luke Raid but they are good.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • List
  5. Kiki Phantasmal Winter

Guild:
    Fragments
    Server:
    Cain
    ng focus on a gimmick that was partically viable cranking it upto 11 while dg was just taking the whole elem dmg thing with shadow to the extreme, i mean u can technically count them as examples but they arent as roundabout as some other gimmicky requirements/effects

6. I prefer the gimmicks of the new 90 weapons over the 85 epic gear. 90 epics give power and really neat cosmetic affects

7. YanDaMan263 lol @ u

IGN:
    Retsuhazan
    Steam:
    YanDaMan263
    Server:
    Cain
    I dont understand why its so freaking hard for Neople to just make epic weapons/armor sets that do cool shit while still having a strong base damage multiplier instead of streamlining everything into boring redundant damage increase/ele damage. If weapons like Gorun, NOVA, Raikiri e.t.c all had a reasonable 30-40% damage boost on top of their procs I'd use the crap out of them.

It's a miracle they even did that for Nature Guardian. Only took 2 epic reworks.

8. Algernon

Natural Guardian isn't good because of the proc gimmick. Before the rework it was one of the weaker 85 epic sets. It's strong now because the set gives grand total of +370 patk/matk/independent along with 15% crit rate, +88 all elemental damage (+24 single from a single elemental piece, +14 all from the shoes, +50 from the set proc), and rather high additional damage increase (25% elemental or 45% nonelemental).

The good parts about the set are conventional stat and damage increases.

Procs that do 500k each at most (which is extremely generous) also mean little for your overall damage considering most raid boss fights are all about burst damage in the little amount of time they are vulnerable, where your cubes should be dealing in the hundred millions, if not billions with party buffs. Visually the procs are entertaining, but that's not what makes the set practical.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  9. Rain Senpai!!!!11

IGN:
    Hydrargyrum
    Guild:
    Calamity
    Server:
    Cain
    Another thing ng does is give all ele damages so it's also good for all types of team comps

10. Orphane Terminal Shitposter

Server:
    Cain
    Saying dark gothic is a "gimmick" set is one of the thenkingest things i've heard in a while

Ng was covered by explanations from other posters so i won't go over it again

But like, really? Do you guys not remember when stuff like football was outright trash? What did they do to make it viable? It certainly wasn't focusing on making the gimmick more "fun".

In a numbers chasing game like dfo, players will take consistent performance from boring things over fun gimmicks every time unless you aren't looking to increase your numbers, in which case your interests don't align with the main playerbase. Gimmicky things are "fun" but gimmicks with no power and consistency behind them eventually get dropped

Like, what kind of gimmick do you even want that would be something people want to use in today's dfo? What gimmick is unique and interesting and can still be used without being a chore to activate/maintain or isn't broken or too weak to even bother using?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  11. Hova Four paths - one destiny

Server:
    Cain
    I hate being reliant on a gimmick rather than having my classes actual power being strong enough to do stuff without said gimmick. It's just not fun to me. In areas where that gimmick is nullified I'm suddenly a weak-ass noodle and that's not fun. I'd much rather have my classes power being strong rather than a gimmick that can be a headache at times or troublesome at times making me strong.

12. Oshawott R-3

IGN:
    Bixlow
    Guild:
    Signify
    Server:
    Cain
    Dark Gothic may not be Natural Guardian but comparison to these 90 Epic Armors/Accs/Weapons which are almost all literally just throw on the armor and get bigger numbers, it's a gimmick. Dark Gothic actually involved the player doing something (stacking Shadow Resistance, something players would never bother doing) and getting rewarded for it by making you significantly more powerful and even affected the party. And even made non-Shadow Damage classes move to Shadow Damage and get rewarded.

Natural Guardian may get a lot of its power from the stats on each armor but a ~500k proc which seems to ignore a lot of defense and has a .5 CD. All that and it's unique.

Sure, I like getting 90 Epics and the fact that each one is good regardless but they're literally all boring as fuck. The only one of slight interest is Metal Line and that's only because it's reminiscent of Tactical Set.

Maybe all they did to the football set was increase the damage to it but I would still wear it in any situation I could over Black Formal simply because going super speeds and dashing everywhere is fun as hell over "Yeah, you're a Spitfire and you just hit stronger now".

If players want to be big numbers that's fine but forcing that shit down literally every players throats to be viable is fucking lame. At least make an effort to throw interesting playstyle and build changes into the game for players who don't want the straightforward numbers game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  13. DFOlover

incomplete spear is probably the most dumb gimmicky weapon ever. 50% and above HP is required to get the bonus dmg like WTF?? There were many times when I had 48% HP, and I clearly wouldnt die, but I still had to eat a bread cuz the bonus dmg... smh, why didn't they just delete the HP requirements when they revamped epics... Luckily, I'm getting savior spear soon, so this shit is going to be my buff swap..

14. The reason why DG was the uncontested best set for a long time was specifically because it was basically just flat non-gimmick damage. Stacking shadow resist doesn't change shit about how players play the game. It changes what items you buy but in the end it didn't force you to do time-wasting bullshit to maximize damage. Meanwhile the old level 85 sets were shit because they forced the player to play counter-intuitively (it's not fun trying to get your mbrawler down to 50% mp for Mana Oath pants). Not to mention they also gave stats nobody wanted (Mana Vortex still has this problem).

15. Orphane Terminal Shitposter

Server:
    Cain
    you equip dark gothic and shadow resist and.....what are you getting out of it again.......

bigger numbers? you don't say :gootecks:

stacking shadow resist doesn't require you do anything inside a dungeon, only change your equips some. saying that it's a gimmick you have to play around is laughable.

16. Zext

IGN:
    Zext
    Guild:
    Innergenus or sumtin
    Server:
    Cain
    We should all figure out what the hell we really mean by a 'gimmick' or not. I don't think we're all on the same page with this word.

17. Gimmick to me is forcing the player to play a certain way. Old contract set would be an example off the top of my head.

18. Orphane Terminal Shitposter

Server:
    Cain
    Full Manual weapons would be another example of "gimmick", in that they force you to adjust your playstyle if you want any return from the equipment piece.

It's a pity that all full manual weapons give the same ol' boring...wait for it.... damage bonus

it's almost like this game is designed around damage modifiers

19. Oshawott R-3

IGN:
    Bixlow
    Guild:
    Signify
    Server:
    Cain
    Oh yes. Bigger numbers. Because that was literally the ONLY thing it did right?

Oh no wait. It also shredded enemy defense, dark explosions AND altered my parties element in order to reap the benefits of my armor.
    Gasp. It doesn't require me to do anything inside the dungeon but it still required you to do something. Period. Maybe not much but that is ok because it's epic armor.

Unlike 90 Epics in which you slap on 5 Pieces of armor and do the exact same shit you've been doing up until this point with absolutely no change period. Not even the slighest need to alter your build, emblems, or playstyle. No cool looking environmental effects or anything.

Fuck it. Let's throw out all sense of potential creativity for the most generic shit possible.

20. Space Fish Fishstick Van Platin

Server:
    Cain
    This thread is for discussion of the recent announcements. Take the epic gimmick discussion elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Idol Idol x 1
    • List

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)