Open Letter to Neople On Avatars

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nihil679, Feb 26, 2017.

?

How would you like Neople to release avatars?

1. They should wait for every class to have avatars/packages to release them at the same time.

15 vote(s)
    13.6%
  2. They should release them (seemingly) randomly and monthly.

57 vote(s)
    51.8%
  3. They should give us a monthly poll for us to pick the class(es)' next avatars.

56 vote(s)
    50.9%
  4. I have a better idea (please reply in detail).

5 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. They're doing fine with avatar releases.

10 vote(s)
    9.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nihil679

People want more avatars. This is the short of it.

In a game that has been affectionately dubbed "Dress-up Fighter Online," many will notice the actually limited amount of avatars that are available for DFOG, especially compared to other versions. For the 10 years of avatars available in DNF, many classes do not even have half or even a third of the available avatars in CERA shop. Many packages we may never even hope to see arrive. Even far less likely are older generation rare avatars.
    Demand for more avatars, be it cash shop or packages or older generation rares, is clearly very high. Every news from DNF or CDNF or Arad Senki about avatars comes with more and more players stating "I want this!"

The question is, why do we even have this problem?

A lot of it is being pinned on newer classes such as Knight and Lancer holding back avatar packages because of their exclusion, yet there has been an incomplete re-release for an avatar package in DNF before. Particular to DFOG, the Black Friday sale was technically a "re-release" of many of these package avatars, and many were very happy about it.
    Even so, releasing older exclusive packages does not seem to be much of a problem when there has been cases of simply releasing the avatars solo. Or even a proper re-release of the package, updated with the new class.

But the problem isn't simply packages. Neople has demonstrated a willingness to release older CERA shop avatars that exclude new classes (in this case, Lancer), as well as many other waves of class-specific avatars a month. Neople has even had a poll so the community can decide which new avatar(s) to release first. The problem here is the infrequency of these. The Commando release was well over 2 months ago, and the month before that was only a partial release for Thieves, MFighters, and MMages. The slow drips of avatar releases that are permanent to CERA shop is simply way too slow and way too inconsistent.

While I would like to touch on the subject of older generation rare avatars, there are simply too many factors related to the issue which can complicate it, ranging from lack of tradeable avatars to fuel (Ancient) Bind Cubes, as well as the lack of Daphne system which is well-related.

We can fix this problem, but only with Neople willing to help us and communicate with us. With the community advisors, we can.

We, the DFOG community, desire more avatars, more consistently, more quickly.

2. Hova Chasing the wind

Server:
    Cain
    On the topic of old packages. I don't think they even have to sell them as packages. IIRC right now, Female Slayer has an avatar set in the CERA shop that was actually a package set in KDNF.
    The Ghost Hunter set is what I'm talking about.

So, on that note, they don't necessarily have to release the avatars as packages, they can just release them into the CERA shop since they've already shown they're okay with doing that with the Ghost Hunter set.

3. petite_cat

When Neople started releasing these CERA shop avatars, I was under the impression that each month would have 3-4 new sets for three classes. Thief, MFighter, MMage in November 2016, FMage, Priest, FGunner in October 2016, MSlayer, FFighter, MGunner in September 2016, so where are the avatars for FSlayer, Thief, Knight, and Lancer? Shouldn't we have gotten them as part of December's Avatar Shop update? Were they withheld because of the Commando Avatars? What about January 2017 or February 2017? I don't mind having to wait a month to see if the classes I want avas on are gonna get those avas, but the inconsistency and infrequency in release have really bothered me. They were doing so well from September to November, and then it just dropped off.

To me, ideally, every maintenance patch where Neople doesn't release a package, they should be adding one or two sets (they can be older ones) for each of the classes so that we can catch up to what's available in the CERA shop in other versions (there are plenty of FMage avas that were available in the shop during the Nexon days that we still don't have yet!!!). Like you mentioned, they don't need to include all the classes (like with the Commando set), but it would be nice.

Another issue we have with the newer classes (Lancer, Knight) are the limited availability of skin avatars. Knight only has 2 in the shop, and both of which are pale. Why can't Knights have yellow, blue, brown, red, white, or gray skins like other classes? Lancers don't even have any skin avatars (which is a travesty because many Lancer mains are missing out on 6% PCrit/50 Str, not to mention the damage reduction)! Neople is potentially alienating a good portion of players who main Knight/Lancer with this lack of skin avatar availability/variability.

In closing, I'd like to throw some more money at my screen and quote Philip J. Fry (Futurama): SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

4. Solus Kpop is life

IGN:
    Choa
    If you're going after this, you should probably also address the necessity for tradability (hell, even account bound is fine) or expansion of the avatar inventory. I'm a collector, and for me to disassemble limited or one-time only avatars hurts.

5. nihil679

While I understand the issue and I do agree, it's a different front of the battle here. We should try to go for one issue at a time to get our foot in the door before we can go to asking for tradedable avatars.

6. Space Fish Fishstick Van Platin

Server:
    Cain
    The CA that suggested this letter insisted that the posts and suggestions remain civil and constructive, as it will be sent to a Neople employee. Posts that aren't are going to be deleted (with no infraction) regardless of whether they're within Nexus's rules or not. Points and concerns can be made or expressed without being inflammatory or rude.
    I'm not telling anyone to suck up, the system isn't perfect and that's why this thread is here, but don't be a jerk either.

Fair warning to everyone.

Edit, Feb 27th: And stay on topic. This is about concerns in relation to avatars only.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  7. Reyak

IGN:
    Niblo
    Guild:
    Brave
    I have a question.
    How many pages of avatars do classes have in kDNF's cera shop?

The way I see it, Neople could have two reasons for releasing cash shop avatars as rarely as they do.

One being that newer players that main newer classes would feel incredibly disappointed when avatars are released regularly that don't include their main class.
    You could argue this being a minority, given the alt-centric play-style of the game, but this minority are players too.

The other reason being to control sales numbers. Since they know players want avatars more than anything, they can bank on that, and release them at specific times. IE November, when their sales usually seem to be the highest due to new rares being released.

8. nihil679

I was shown from anywhere between double (FGunner) to triple (MPriest) the amount in our CERA shop, depending on the age of the character.

While I agree new class mains may feel disappointed, you are harming a wider group of players (by a wider group of classes) for a particularly selective amount of players. Rather than disappointing the few, you are potentially enraging a majority, hence why I mentioned the "blame" being pinned on newer classes. I don't believe this is healthy for a community in the long-run if people are going to be led to believe that they're missing out on content because of the new kids.

As for sales, that may be a thing, but the release schedule we've had up until now seems far too random and far too varied to see their business plan. As mentioned already, January simply had no CERA shop avatar updates at all, while we had about 3 months of "waves" of releases at the tail end of last year leading to Christmas. If this is truly part of their business plan, I would like their marketing advisor to speak up.

9. Hova Chasing the wind

Server:
    Cain
    The debate that newer classes are holding back older ones is so stupid based on the obvious fact that of course they're going to have less avatars, they're newer.

How can someone possibly get upset because their newer character isn't getting avatar updates simply because they LITERALLY have no avatars that can be released?
    It's illogical.

10. Reyak

IGN:
    Niblo
    Guild:
    Brave
    If there's really that many, I wouldnt see the issue in releasing new avatar sets regularly. I'd say the week or two between packages would be the best time

11. HunterXZelos I Ride Unicorns

I think they need to address avatar inventory issues first(yes it is maxed out, and no it ain't enough), I'm not even using a class with that many avatars(Knight) but I'm really close to maxing out my inventory since I've religiously purchased every single package in order to play Dress Up Fighter Online properly.

12. Orbus

There's like ten years of avatars in the backlog, and when they make new ones they typically come out in whole sets.
    They could release an old set every week for five years straight and probably still not go through all of them.

Not saying that they would or should do this, just that they very easily could...

13. Gismara

IGN:
    Gismara
    Guild:
    SunKenRock
    Server:
    Cain
    Do you mean the Ghost Hunter set of Nexon days, Hova? What about the Sand Rider, Animal Attraction avatars, the Wonderland avatars, Fallen Guardian sets, et cetera?

14. Isa Sheep

I took a peek at some of the FMage's Avatars while I was playing kDNF a month or so ago.
    There's literally 30 pages of torsos..............................................I'm not even big on Dress-Up but I can already see that 2+2 does not equal 30.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Blair

yes, avatar tradability is the most glaring problem with global

makes no sense since you'd think they would want to encourage people to keep buying packages

16. HunterXZelos I Ride Unicorns

Actually it has nothing to do with tradeability for me, I want to keep the avatars but I'm running low on space, I think I can fit in at most 2 more packages and I'll be completely out of space

17. Laande Third best girl

IGN:
    Ilynnit/Kriiha
    Guild:
    TGP/Ingenious
    The options for f fighter in kdnf, as you can see two of the same type are on the page divided up into two different categories. The left being cera, Which you can buy untradable for the listed price or tradable for a much larger fee. The right side is the gold coin shop version of said avatars. These always come untradable. So what you see in the number has to be halved. Older stuff also has been removed from kdnf's avatar mall.
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  18. Airbear Still bad at things.

IGN:
    Raidene/Rocaseal
    Steam:
    Lizzigator
    Guild:
    Salty
    Server:
    Cain
    I would love for trade able lite ava packages again... I understand why it isn't from a business standpoint but if I don't have the cash to buy lite avas anyways, I just buy the necessary KK with gold.

Revisiting packages more than once a year would be nice, or having SOME permanent set "fixtures" for each class in cera shop would be nice. That way there's always a package around that's not limited-time only.
    Hoping my thoughts are useful/pertinent. If we do a letter I'd like to contribute.

PS. More cat ears

19. nihil679

I see this as a problem with (other than tradeability) the availability of avatars. Players more likely feel pressured to buy and hoard package avatars because of their limited availability. I doubt you would be as inclined to have that many avatars if they were to be available to pick up on CERA shop or AH at any time, or appeared more frequently.

20. HunterXZelos I Ride Unicorns

The thing with package is that it SHOULD be limited availability, at least the way I see it, it's kind of a proof that says "hey, I played during this period of time!" kinda thing, so I do not think all packages should be available and I believe some packages should be "rare", maybe they can come back once a year for black friday sale but that's it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)