Neople subsidiary Thingsoft is developing "Project D", which may or may not be DFO 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by freecomkcf, Apr 13, 2017.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  1. Raze

IGN:
    Vyncentz
    Guild:
    Valor
    Server:
    Cain
    Assuming UE4 is capable of producing GG Xrd like graphics I don't see this being a problem like reddit does, though if they plan to go 3D then.... meh

2. snafuPop wiki

IGN:
    snafuPop
    Steam:
    snafuPop
    Guild:
    Absurd
    Server:
    Cain
    I feel like what sets DFO apart from most beat-'em-up MMOs is its graphical style. Even if they do a good job of transitioning into 3D... well it'll just kinda blend in with the hundreds of other 3D anime beat-'em-up games (Elsword, Soul Worker, Closers, etc.)

3. Hova Four paths - one destiny

Server:
    Cain
    DFO's artstyle is extremely good. Changing that is a bad idea.
    Anyways, the game has to be significantly different in some way for me to even think about considering playing it. If it's literally just copy + paste with new graphics, what's the point?

The small concern of splitting DFO's current playerbase up between games is also there. Shouldn't come close to killing any version of DFO, but still.

4. Dice Dragon Top Kekrator

IGN:
    LittleBobs
    Guild:
    Ingenious
    Server:
    Cain
    I mean take it as what it is whether you like maplestory or not,

Maplestory has some pretty "Unique" graphics and art choices and is a side scroller grind fest. It spawned an entire generation of clones, and to this day is still holding on in the top 10 of pcbangs some weeks in korea.

Maplestory 2? Which came out after a decade? Total flop. Dead on Arrival, it transitioned to 3d, and had a different gameplay then maplestory1.

I played both Guild wars 1, and 2. And I gotta say, GW1 is leaps and bounds better then 2.

I just dont think you can make sequals to MMOs its better to just keep improving the original, why spend money to make a game that is just a successor in name and not in substance, wont be good...

5. Garyuu *sigh*

IGN:
    BlueMagnolia
    Steam:
    StigroOne
    Guild:
    August
    Server:
    Cain
    Just applying the mindset of developing a "sequel" to an ever-changing, ever-updating F2PMMO makes little to no sense to me. Most retail MMO's have expansion packs and on a superficial level they're can be considered sequels that expanded the base game without leaving it. For F2PMMO's even massive updates like the Metastasis can be considered "expansion packs" too.

Didn't some KMMO beat-em-ups fall by the wayside because the DFO market is just too big? What chance would Neople themselves have with this?

6. Hova Four paths - one destiny

Server:
    Cain
    Predictions: Game's alive for maybe 6 months, Thingsoft disbands before even reaching the 1 year mark of being a company.

7. Tsurugi

Server:
    Cain
    It'll be an RNG shitfest in 3D. No thanks.

8. Dowiet

IGN:
    DowChaos
    Guild:
    Kinetic
    Server:
    Cain
    it wasn't DOA but decisions were made which really drove many away it seems. Ambitious but it didn't work out in the end.

9. Arrol

If I recall, they took the MS1 approach to homogenize everything and made new content delivery as slow as MS1. That's why they did their reset?

10. Dowiet

IGN:
    DowChaos
    Guild:
    Kinetic
    Server:
    Cain
    they started putting out some heavy cash things which was a major turn off

11. hopefully that DFO mobile game keeping itself as a side scroller is an indicator of what DFO 2 will be (if Project D even is that).

i doubt Neople and/or Thingsoft would put much effort into making Guilty Gear Xrd-like animations and shading, that just seems like something only Arc System Works is willing to do. look at what happened to King of Fighters between 12/13 and 14, it went from sprites traced from 3D models in the former, to flat out using 3D models in the latter, and some people would like to say the graphics changed for the worse.

on a completely different note, i'm wondering if the netcode issues will ever be addressed, assuming Project D even does well enough to get an overseas release. but i feel that ethnocentrism will rear its ugly head again and end up shifting netcode design decisions back to peer-to-peer, and we'll end up getting saddled with that again (with all the complaining that entails).

12. rink

P2P can still work in a global setting if it's set up for it. Servers would be better, but it's still possible. The problem is the game wasn't designed with global play in mind. A p2p system designed for global play would be better than what we have now. Hopefully, Thingsoft looks at the bigger picture when designing this game and realize there are many fans outside of Korea.

But at the end of the day, Neople makes enough money for them to buy and maintain servers. A DFO2 with servers and not p2p would go a long way in attracting players.

13. Enoch the Fierce Breathe Again

IGN:
    BornThisWhey
    Guild:
    Kinetic
    Server:
    Cain
    Sequels have never succeeded

Look at Ragnarok Online 2

14. Tanuki moving at incredbl hihg sped

thats not exactly true. what really matters is the transition. Most times the reason you get that shitty ass failed sequel is they try to "reimagine the original game"

If they take the good stuff; core mechanics, lore, setting.. etc. And than just add some new elements but DON'T GO FULL RETARD and add a bunch of unnecessary clutter. A sequel can actually succeed its predecessor.

i.e planetside 2, or halo 2. Hell even EQ2 was better than the first one.. well until SoE butchered it into a WoW f2p trash clone

DnF in like a 2.5d map would be amazing

15. QueenyPie Endless torment flavor.

IGN:
    LucyBell
    Guild:
    Fragments
    Server:
    Cain
    You mean like it is right now?

16. Tanuki moving at incredbl hihg sped

It is actually 3d forced 2d.
    2.5D in google image search shows pretty much what I mean.

17. Hova Four paths - one destiny

Server:
    Cain
    So, a bit like Elsword?

18. QueenyPie Endless torment flavor.

IGN:
    LucyBell
    Guild:
    Fragments
    Server:
    Cain
    mm, true, but that seems like a downgrade then.

Well in terms of 2.5D yes (2d trying to look 3d).

19. @QueenyPie again, that DNF mobile game (Dungeon and Fighter Spirit) kinda already does that. despite all the complaining from Reddit that it "doesn't look right" (probably because they didn't skip out on tweening animation frames like GG Xrd did for that sprite look and feel), hopefully Project D takes cues from this game.

i'm wondering now, if they went full blown 3D, would it be another faceroll your hotkeys type of MMO? if they brought back manual inputs, how would that even work? something akin to Devil May Cry?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)