How to PvP?

Discussion in 'Grappler' started by Izunaplex, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Izunaplex

I've tried PvPing and I cant do anything to alot of classes. Catching them is hard, doing damage is hard. What am I doing wrong? Or not doing at all?

2. Dubin carried by fmage

Are you relatively new to fgrapp pvp? Fgrapp is one of the stronger pvp classes, but no amount of tier power will make it easy to overcome lv1 fundamentals.

I haven't pvp'd with fgrapp in ages, but there's a bunch of little things like:
    • Learning to consistently Fling up -> dash x -> Muse into juggle loop goes a long way toward making people fear your glomp.
    • xxxx->cancel into grab picks people up off the ground, and since you can cancel into Fling this lets you juggle them back up again (juggle protection notwithstanding).
    • Super armor is an essential tool, and learning to time your Muse Upper's super armor frames to tank through pokes is a key fundamental.
    • Seismic is god, max and learning the best way to psych people out and time it for perfect counter is a large part of what makes ffighter in general high tier pvp.
    • Ditto Tornado Kick and Neck Snap hitconfirms
    Etc etc. Spiral's aoe is godly okizeme ("wakeup game", trapping your opponent into taking damage when they're getting up off the floor) and its damage, while nice, is nothing compared to a random Fling into juggle, so learning to use it for space control is another huge level-up.

But really, pvp in general is first and foremost about the fundamentals. The "neutral game"--avoiding hits and converting off your own random hits into combos, having a sense of spacing and timing, learning when to abandon a combo and go for ideal spacing--is the first and more important thing to learn before combos and tricks. You need combos to convert random hits into big damage, but beneath that you need a base of being able to space out your opponent's pokes and juggles.

http://shoryuken.com/2014/07/07/lea...ng-games-with-our-free-beginners-guide-ebook/
    I really like that Shoryuken went and wrote this '3' it's a great summary of the principles of pvp/Street Fighter competitive play and how to learn them.
    http://www.sirlin.net/ptw/
    Sirlin's book is another great resource, and the source or popularizer for much of the pvp/fighting game vocabulary in the online community.

Oh yeah, and the number one rule for getting good at pvp: Losing is good. Losing is the best thing that can happen to you. Lose early and often, against the best players you can find, so that you can get used to feeling what high tier play feels like.

3. Izunaplex

I am not very new to it, Coming from a Street Fighter Competitive background( I did all your tips instinctually) The only thing I have a hard time doing now is catching people. I use tornado kick but i feel like its too slow. and I guess Maxing my seismic is essential.

4. Dubin carried by fmage

gz yeah, I have no idea how I ever caught people with my pve build in the day '3' The current arena sizes seem to have given people a lot more room to play with than when Mech Drop basically equalled round end.

Have you been using Crouch? I really need to get my fgrapp back up to pvp level, so much crazy shit you can do.

5. Skiptrace

Well, after getting my Grappler to 35. I can say I was thoroughly getting my ass kicked. I could never hit ANYTHING with Elbow Shock for my life... The range of it in PvP is REALLY short... and I couldn't get an initator off because we have no true poke skills... Tips?

6. Pyros

Hmm from watching a few videos, a lot of the initiation is done with standard fighter moves, tornado and seismic. Nen doppel to restrict movement and control the haste buff. Sliding spiral to get some cheap damage in if you're falling too far behind from pokes. Leap also sometimes.

7. Soltis [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡◥▶ ͜ʖ ͡◀◤)̲̅$̲̅]

8. marlymar

tell em soltis

9. Skiptrace

Well, from watching even that first video, I would need some severe reflexes to pull shit like that off... I think i'll stick to PvE for Grappler, and try my luck with Soul Bender, M Brawler and Shadow Dancer (Whenever the fuck it comes out)

10. Soltis [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡◥▶ ͜ʖ ͡◀◤)̲̅$̲̅]

Keep in mind they have tons more ASPD/MSPD etc than us/the average dfo player atm and that guy has probably been playing the game for nearly a decade by now.
    The purpose in linking it wasn't for you to be him, it was to show you how some skills can be used and [more importantly] how to deal with approaching people.

11. Skiptrace

True enough. Problem being is, the matches were moving so fast that, I couldn't understand what the hell was going on.

12. Soltis [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡◥▶ ͜ʖ ͡◀◤)̲̅$̲̅]

Fortunately they are recorded videos so you can pause them/rewatch a specific part etc.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)