Glacial Masters: Kings of the Cold

Discussion in 'Glacial Master' started by Pure, May 22, 2014.

1. Pure Chill

IGN:
    Exceleration
    Guild:
    Chronicles, Kawaii
    Server:
    Cain
    [​IMG]
    Glacial Masters: Kings of the Cold

Table of Contents and Directory:

I. Intro:
    Ia. About Glacial Masters:
    The Glacial Master (herein referred to as GM or Glacial Master) is currently one of two subclass advancements of the Male Mage. They rely on speedy and heavy hitting attacks to clear rooms in record time. The beautiful thing about GM's is that they have the ability to both range attack and melee and excel at both, really. At level 50, Glacial Masters awaken to Hell Freezers. GM's are a great soloing class with AOE's and heavy hitting attacks with low cooldown but are also great party players too, with their holds and freezes. GM's are great with or without funding, but if you're willing to fund yours, he'll dominate!

Ib. Side Note:
    I apologize in advance for some very bad punny moments I had during the making of this guide. Especially near the end. [​IMG] Well, you're in it now for better or for worse, so buckle up and let's go!!

Ic. Intro to Equipment/Basic Info:
    Armor: Leather Armor
    Weapons: Staff or Rod
    Element: Water/Ice
    Damage Type: Magic/ Percentage (with fixed shockwaves on ~2 skills)

II. Skills:

IIa. Common Skills:
    [​IMG] Immortality – Given/Maxed at lv 1. When you die, you resurrect and enter a healing mode. While in this mode, however, you take 50% more damage and if you die in recovery mode, you’re dead and will need to token. If played properly, it shouldn't come to this in most normal dungeons. 15 second recovery mode in normal dungeons. 60 second recovery in Ancient dungeons, PvP, Towers, and OV.

[​IMG] Wind Strike – Your basic launch skill. Leave at 1. OTG. (1 or max for PVP)

[​IMG] Trap Strike – A handy, quick grab that throws the enemy a little ways from you and creates a shockwave upon impact with the ground, dealing damage to surrounding enemies. I'd recommend leaving at 1 as with the given cancel it may just save you, also good for positioning. (1)

[​IMG] Water Cannon – Yay!! Your first water damaging skill!! Yeah... no... Don't get it. Damage is lackluster but don't worry, there are a bunch of awesome skills to come. (0)

[​IMG] Concentrated Fury – Extend your palm out and shoot five energy orbs out! But wait - there's more! You can use it in the air too! One point is useful for avoiding shockwave damage in Ghost Train and in PVP. (1)

[​IMG] Teleport – Great skill! Really speeds along dungeons and assists in mobility and can be used to dodge potential disasters! (Maxes at 1)

[​IMG] Ghost Flame – Summons two little blue flames that increase defenses, press the skill hotkey again to shoot them at your enemies. Increase is rather inconsequential. (0)

[​IMG] Flame Shield – Conjure a flaming disc that, if you hold the hotkey, can be used as a shield, giving you increased defense against ranged attacks. Release to throw it at enemies. OTG. One point is useful - but no more than that,you never know when you could use some fire damage, say, like, in Resh or AoA. (1)

[​IMG] Magic Cannon – Gathers energy to shoot a larger energy orb. (0)

[​IMG] Icy White Sword – Your first real ice skill! Great hitstun complemented with a low cooldown and good damage makes this a great max! Nice percentage damage. The ex passive removes the knockdown third hit and loops it with another 2 hits similar to your first and second, adding damage and making use of its hitstun. Great to lead into a standing combo. (0, or Max and EX upgrade)

IIb. Glacial Master Skills

[​IMG] Icy Aura – Acquired on advancement, changes your basic ranged attacks into melee combos. Covers your fists with ice and punches the crap out of enemies. First hit launches.

[​IMG] Snow Flower Spear – Fear the Spear!! Snow flower Spear creates a spear out of ice that then branches into more spears and charges your enemies, impaling them and pushing them away. Great damage, low cooldown, awesomeness. Starts off with 4 mini spears but with more levels comes mor hits. Maxes at 8 hits for some very nice percentage damage. While currently attacking frozen enemies is a pain, (as they don't get pushed back and as a result won't take the full force of the attack) new balance 3 brings the feature to perform SFS in place by pushing the back arrow key! (Maxxxx)

[​IMG] Windmill Spear – Creates two javelins that then spin around in a windmill motion, damaging any enemies close by, then throws them. While it had rather lackluster damage back in NADFO, with current patches, it deals some very nice damage to enemies in melee range. OTG. I would generally suggest picking between Ice White Sword and Windmill Spear to max. (3, or Max)

[​IMG] Path of Frost – Leaves a trail of ice and frost where you walk, enemies that are caught in the frost are slowed. Not really beneficial without the EX. With the TP EX upgrade, however, it gains a very high freeze chance. In current patches, the freezing effect is level-able with the skill itself and gains a longer duration with each level of the EX. With the revamped Awakening passive, I'd highly suggest maxing this skill and get at least a few levels in the EX. (0, or Max and EX)

[​IMG] Insight – Passive. More int. Less MP consumption. What's not to love? (Max)

[​IMG] Grand Shatter – One of the greatest skills in the game, including cubes, and also my favorite. The Glacial Master creates a massive formation of ice, and then shatters it, sending shards flying in a triangular trajectory. Shoots 2-4 shards per wave x6 waves = 12-24 shards of pure (pun intended) awesomeness! To get all the hits in, I suggest using it like a shotgun and just blasting away the enemy at close range. Absolutely amazing percentage damage when all shards hit. Its only lacking element is that you can get interrupted while casting, but fear not!! New balance 3 comes in to save the OP-ness and gives you invincibility throughout the whole skill Q_Q. (Max or gtfo. Seriously)

[​IMG] Broken Arrow - Manifests a bow and shoots arrows at a target. Hit the hotkey again to rush the enemy and clobber 'em with the bow in super armor status! It's a great approach and does very nice damage! The EX passive adds more arrows making it even stronger. (Max)

[​IMG] Aqua Resonance – The Glacial Master's signature buff/debuff. Upon casting Resonance, surrounding monster suffer from reduced water resistance (by a factor of 24) while at the same time you gain 24 extra water damage. 30 Second CD and 60 Second Duration. (More damage = definite max!) (Would suggest picking up the EX passive for this to increase overall damage output)

[​IMG] Ice Crash – The Glacial Master covers himself in a layer of ice and blasts towards the enemy spinning like a drill, grabbing all enemies in his path. Ice Crash does 8 hits of rather sub-par damage and a finisher of stronger (yet still weak in comparison to all of your other skills) damage. Very nice for grouping mobs and setting up other techniques, but scales badly so I'd suggest putting one level into it. (1)

[​IMG] Ice Crusher – Your first cube!!! The Glacial master creates a large mass of ice in his fists and dashes forward and slams it down, dealing incredible damage. Inflicts high percentage damage with a second hit dealing very nice fixed shockwave that has an insane range. Relatively low cooldown and amazing damage. [Consumes 1 Ice Clear Cube Fragment] (Must Max)

[​IMG] Ice Trap – Creates a pentacle on the ground that traps and holds enemies at a specified rate and then builds up a glacier which, at the end of the skill, shatters dealing nice AoE damage. Ice Trap is a great skill for both solo and party play, and holds the enemies long enough for your awakening passive to take effect for a double-whammy. Hits are percentage with a finishing fixed shockwave. With current patches, it has a 100 percent hold rate! [Consumes 1 Clear Cube Fragment] (Preference or Max)

[​IMG] Water Pillar - BOOM! I often affectionately refer to this skill as the "Room-Clearing Game-Winning Toilet of Death." The Glacial Master creates a large pentacle and then generates two massive pillars of water that then circle around with increasing velocity, dealing percentage damage, that then collide at the center for a huge explosion. Huge amounts of percentage damage coupled with a very nice suction effect that gathers enemies makes it an amazing skill. Wait- there's more! The skill also has a 100% chance to freeze its targets!! [Consumes 2 Clear Cube Fragments] (Max!)

IIc. EX Actives
    [​IMG] Ice Orb – The Glacial Master shoots an orb of ice at the target which then expands into a writhing ball of spikes, dealing multiple hits of decent damage. Finishes with an explosion. This technique's hitstun is amazing and deals some very nice damage! [Consumes 1 Clear Cube Fragment] (1, Preference, or Max)

[​IMG] Ice Field – The Glacial Master gathers a large ball of mist in his hands and slams his palms down on the ground, spreading the mist which, in an instant, crystallizes, forming a huge field of sharp ice. Hits three times for large burst damage ( 14187% at max). [Consumes 2 Clear Cube Fragments] (Great Burst, great AoE, Max it!!)

IId. General Skills
    [​IMG] Ancient Memory - A viable SP sink as it gives a nice intelligence boost which equates to more damage. (0 or Max)

[​IMG] Magic Critical Boost - More crit = More damage = Yes please. Gogogogogo! (Must Max)

IIe. Awakening Skills

[​IMG] Frozen Soul – The best awakening passive ever (in my opinion). Essentially grants the glacial master an aura that freezes any enemies near the Glacial master after a period of 10 seconds. But wait! There's more!! The Glacial Master actually inflicts MORE damage against frozen enemies (SCORE!) At max level your attacks inflict 16 percent more damage against frozen targets! (Must max!!)

[​IMG] Ice Chain - The name of the awakening is of dubious nature as every seems to call it something different, but personally, ice chain seems pretty bad ass. And that's exactly what this skill is! BAD-ASS! The Glacial Master summons 3 small rotating disc/shuriken things that he throws at targets. They have a homing effect. After that stage, the Glacial Master retracts them and combines them to form a huge rotating shuriken that he then slams into the ground, dealing constant damage while also gathering nearby enemies. For the final step, the Glacial Master throws the massive shuriken which then explodes, dealing high damage. Throughout the casting time the GM is in super armor mode. A great skill, and for 0 SP, who can complain? [Consumes 5 Clear Cube Fragments] (0, Max, or Preference)

IIf. EX Passive Skills

[​IMG] Icy White Sword Ex Passive– Skill that replaces the last hit of IWS with another two hits, increasing your damage and setting you up for a standing combo. What's not to love? (0 or Max if maxing Icy White Sword)

[​IMG] Snow Flake Spear Ex Passive – If you have the TP, get this skill! Great increase in damage on a core skill. Yay. (Max or Preference)

[​IMG] Aqua Resonance Ex Passive – A decent increase in all around damage if you spam Resonance (which you should). (Max)

[​IMG] Broken Arrow Ex Passive – This passive adds more arrows to broken arrow’s quiver, and also increases the amount of time the arrows are stuck in the enemy, increasing hitstun. If you like broken arrow and find it one of your go-to skills, I don't see why you wouldn't max it! (0, Max or Preference)

[​IMG] Grand Shatter Ex Passive – More Damage on GS = OP AF. Nuff said. (If you weren't going to before, MAX)

Ice Path Ex -Invaluable in the current patch, as the Awakening passive aura takes 10 seconds to freeze enemies vs the previous 2 seconds. Furthermore, Ice Path Ex got buffed so that the freeze time increases per level invested into the EX for a maximum of a 5 second instant freeze. The level of the freeze is determined based on the level of Ice Path (the skill not the ex passive). I highly recommend maxing both. (Max, 0)

Cube Skill EX's - Increase in damage all around. I personally like Ice Crusher EX, but it's all preference. (0, Max, or preference)

III. The Epic Journey Continues: The Awakening:

IIIa. The Awakening Quest
    {The Following may or may not be an accurate translation of the quest from Chinese} ((Yes this guide was made for cDNF but w/e)

Congrats! You moved up to the big leagues, you're no longer a Hell Refrigerator, NOW YOU'RE A Hell Freezer!! ((Get it?))

IIIb. The Awakening and EX Skills
    Refer to part IIe. and IIc. for an explanation and run down of your awakening skills as well as your new EX actives!

IV. Sample Build

Here's a cookie cutter build of what was outlined above.

*Click There for Build->* Cookies? Yum. Cookie Cutters? I'm not THAT hungry. EDIT: Due to some formatting changes in the skill planner site, the build displayed is incorrect, will update in the near future. Until then see recommendations in the Skills section.
    That build contains the only the skills I believe one "must" max. With that build you have 1605 SP, 23 TP, and 1424 QP to work with to put into whatever floats your boat (Ancient Memory, Awakening, Ice Path). The Sample Build is also spec'd out with the "must max" EX passives as well as QP skills too.

So? What're you waiting for? Get back to making ice cubes!!

V. Ideal Avatar Stats
    Hair - Intelligence
    Hat - Intelligence
    Face - Attack Speed
    Torso - Attack Speed
    Top - Grand Shatter, Aqua Resonance, Insight
    Bottom - Icy White Sword (If Event) or HP
    Shoes - Movement Speed
    Waist - Evasion
    Skin - Physical Damage decrease would be ideal

Updates as of 3/30/2015:
    Taken from my post below:

I also wanted to add a few things regarding some questions I had gotten previously.
    On the topic of QP: Spirit isn't really worth the QP as GM's are quite efficient with their natural MP reserves and almost never run out of MP if played correctly. Evasion definitely couldn't hurt so that could be a viable QP sink.

As for weapons, I personally use staves for the increased m.attack but rods work too if you like speed. Pretty much any well reinforced rare, legacy or unique weapon (staff or rod) would do wonders.

OV Sets: The Icy Floral Hell ov3 set is a great one to get! It buffs the already OP grand shatter up so much. I recommend getting six pieces of the set which greatly increases the range and number of shards launched. The 9 piece pretty much makes it have a 360 degree range, making it difficult to get all of the shards in. You can see the 9 and 6 piece here.
    9 Piece
    6 Piece
    Also another very viable set. (also quite hilarious)
    17173.tv.sohu.com/v_1_20011/MTYyNzk4NA.html

On New Balance 3: Here's a laundry list of changes -
    Grand Shatter invincibility (YEEEEEEESSSS)
    Twister part of Raging Water Pillar duration shortened to go almost straight to center(The perfect setup for 9pc floral Shatter, anyone?), freeze chance increases, last hit launches instead of knocking things away.
    Ice Orb gets more hits
    Ice Field changed to 3 sections instead of a single hit(Like firewave), each hit has 50% atk str.
    Ice Trap changed to 100% immobility rate
    Ice Arrow changed to 3 default arrows only, increased atk str
    Windmill spear has more hits (still mediocre)
    Snowflake Spear and Ice Hammer can be cast without moving forward
    Ice Road can freeze for longer periods with the ex, freeze chance scales with original skill level instead.
    Tundra's Soul has increased range but takes longer to proc freeze, additional freeze damage now also applies to other method of freezing (ice road, raging water pillar, party members)
    Awakening active: duration decreased

Questions? Comments? Concerns?
    Reply or PM Pure if you need anything!

Read more: http://exiled-dnf.com/thread/187/glacial-masters-kings-cold#ixzz32VBWgOAY

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  2. Yoowy Anele

Guild:
    TheSilverPig GM
    Server:
    Cain
    damm this is really clean i like it dude. How u get the skill icons like that?

For ice trap i would just leave it at level 1 for the utility hold.
    Ice orb i maxed out its not that bad of a skill cast and forget and does some nice damage just gotta learn how to aim it :P

I know the reason why u didnt put path of frost tp upgrade since it conflicts with the awakening passive but no fear later on neople changes it where they work together from what i recall.

3. Pure Chill

IGN:
    Exceleration
    Guild:
    Chronicles, Kawaii
    Server:
    Cain
    Haha, thanks so much man! I uploaded the skill icons from the imagepack2 files to imgur and linked them over.

I agree with that. Yea come New Balance 3 I didn't find myself using Ice Trap at all so I left it at one for the hold and Ice Orb got a major boost in damage to Ice Crusher levels so I highly recommend maxing now. Also the Ice Path EX is amazing haha, strongly recommend that. (After New Balance)

Edit: I added a bit about Ice Path EX, thanks :)

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  4. Yoowy Anele

Guild:
    TheSilverPig GM
    Server:
    Cain
    my glacial master rip lol i had frost upgrade i loved how it looked but thats how i played.

5. Pure Chill

IGN:
    Exceleration
    Guild:
    Chronicles, Kawaii
    Server:
    Cain
    I also wanted to add a few things regarding some questions I had gotten previously.
    On the topic of QP: Spirit isn't really worth the QP as GM's are quite efficient with their natural MP reserves and almost never run out of MP if played correctly. Evasion definitely couldn't hurt so that could be a viable QP sink.

As for weapons, I personally use staves for the increased m.attack but rods work too if you like speed. Pretty much any well reinforced rare, legacy or unique weapon (staff or rod) would do wonders.

OV Sets: The Icy Floral Hell ov3 set is a great one to get! It buffs the already OP grand shatter up so much. I recommend getting six pieces of the set which greatly increases the range and number of shards launched. The 9 piece pretty much makes it have a 360 degree range, making it difficult to get all of the shards in. You can see the 9 and 6 piece here.
    9 Piece
    6 Piece
    Also another very viable set. (also quite hilarious)
    17173.tv.sohu.com/v_1_20011/MTYyNzk4NA.html

On New Balance 3: Here's a laundry list of changes -
    Grand Shatter invincibility (YEEEEEEESSSS)
    Twister part of Raging Water Pillar duration shortened to go almost straight to center(The perfect setup for 9pc floral Shatter, anyone?), freeze chance increases, last hit launches instead of knocking things away.
    Ice Orb gets more hits
    Ice Field changed to 3 sections instead of a single hit(Like firewave), each hit has 50% atk str.
    Ice Trap changed to 100% immobility rate
    Ice Arrow changed to 3 default arrows only, increased atk str
    Windmill spear has more hits (still mediocre)
    Snowflake Spear and Ice Hammer can be cast without moving forward
    Ice Road can freeze for longer periods with the ex, freeze chance scales with original skill level instead.
    Tundra's Soul has increased range but takes longer to proc freeze, additional freeze damage now also applies to other method of freezing (ice road, raging water pillar, party members)
    Awakening active: duration decreased

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
  6. Pure Chill

IGN:
    Exceleration
    Guild:
    Chronicles, Kawaii
    Server:
    Cain
    Haha sweet gear man! Aaaah good 'ol DFO. Of course on the last day I got my +14 Kant, hahaha. That damage though.

Can't believe I don't have even one recording of my GM though :/

7. Joequel

I read a lot of it ^_^ thanks for writing it.

8. Azrael Frozen Tyrant

I thought I might help by displaying the delays and basic combo's of Broken Arrow. You can land almost any skill you want except for Ice Drill and maybe a few others after Broken Arrow, while still getting the finishing smash.

--Edit--
    Almost forgot.... Great guide Pure, very precise and clean. I was thinking eventually one of us should make short clips of each skill, kind of like the old site used to have. Might help people get a feel for the class.

Azrael~

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  9. Xullos Skeleton Hugger

Love it! This is certain to help all those aspiring Glacial Masters out there, especially with the few guides available to Male Mage. +1 Skeleton Hug.

10. Pure Chill

IGN:
    Exceleration
    Guild:
    Chronicles, Kawaii
    Server:
    Cain
    My pleasure guys. Thanks for the feedback and support :). Also Azrael that's a great idea! I'd love to work with you on that :) thanks again!

11. Azrael Frozen Tyrant

I'd be happy to help, just let me know which skills you'd like me to show or display and I'll get around to making short clips. Happy to help the Glacial community!

12. Khaizue

I really liked your guide! Plus adding the future balance notes really helped me decide to main this class!

13. Merryem

IGN:
    Merryem
    Guild:
    #BLESSED
    Server:
    Cain
    Cool guide, what do you think of GM's in PvP?

14. Powder Rune Lullaby of Birdland

IGN:
    Gumdrop
    Guild:
    #BLESSED
    Server:
    Cain
    Thanks for posting all of this, Pure! Definitely glad we have a few here that have played other regions (or at least keep up with them) and know what's coming up in the future. I'm looking forward to all of these upcoming patches *v*

15. Pure Chill

IGN:
    Exceleration
    Guild:
    Chronicles, Kawaii
    Server:
    Cain
    Haha that's awesome :) I'm just glad to help! If you need anything let me know!

My pleasure :), thanks for your support and feedback! Yeah, definitely! I'll keep up with this too, so if anyone has any questions about future patches just let me know and I can answer them and add the info to the guide :)

Haha, first of all, thanks!
    Alright so regarding PvP... Well I've gotten asked many times why the majority of glacial masters cube spam in pvp. GM cubes are pretty broken and juggling/OTG combos take a lot of practice to do correctly so the short answer is cause it's easier. Ice Crusher's range is complete bull crap, haha, and Raging Water Pillar is a really nice finisher if they can trap their opponent in it. Ice Trap is pretty easy to dodge as it takes a bit longer to use in pvp as opposed to pve.

They do, however, have great potential in PvP if played the right way with many possible juggle combinations, not to mention OTG attacks. The best approach to pvping on a glacial master is to use moves such as Continuous Fire (from the common skill tree), Broken Arrow and Grand Shatter to zone the enemies and then close the distance and start juggle combos and then finish up with otg's like Windmill Spear and Icy White Sword. If you're fighting against one, you should try to rush them, jam their techniques and exploit their low HP.
    Note: Previously in DFO there was a health glitch where male mages weren't given the proper amount of hp in Fair Arena unless they were physically lv70 in town. I'm not entirely sure if that was fixed in the version currently out in Alpha or not. I can get back to you on that.

16. Lil Puddin Duke of Diabeetus

IGN:
    ALOT
    I can't wait for open beta so I can remake my glacial master. I miss him a lot.

17. Pure Chill

IGN:
    Exceleration
    Guild:
    Chronicles, Kawaii
    Server:
    Cain
    Haha, definitely! I really hope we get New Balance some time soon too. That invinci-shatter is just too good lol.

18. Azrael Frozen Tyrant

Alrighty... Here we go.

9 Piece Ice Magician Set

9 Piece Ice Floral Hell Set

9 Piece Ice Arrow Shot

--- Although he has the wrong name in the video this is part of the 9 piece Ice Magician Set---

Now then, that's all of our 3rd Chronicle sets, as examples to what they do. Personally I like Ice Floral Hell the most, but 4 Water Pillars for the Ice Magician set is insane. I do not own any of these videos, or the characters within them. I'm sure if we ask nicely, Pure can get all the info for the chronicle sets and add that to his great guide. Hope this helps all of you Glacials out there.

---- I did not find these videos by myself, a good friend and guildie of mine; Icarus, found them and told me about them. I am giving credit to him because I feel its respectful.----
    ~Happy Dungeoning

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  19. Nier FPriest main since 2017

I believe all of those are all post-chronicle revamp, it made a lot of set pieces especially c2 sets viable other than ice floral hell.

20. Dubin carried by fmage

ICE TRAP IS LIKE A MINI ARCTRIC BRUUUST
    I CAN ACTUALLY HAVE A REAL CUBE SET NOW
    >LOVE

GBYE ICE FLORAL DAN NID YOU ANYMORE

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)