Damage, Defense and Criticals - The Damage Formula

Discussion in 'Guides & Game Mechanics' started by Rhaeven, May 23, 2014.

1. Necrofancy Blame Blob™

IGN:
    You already know!
    Server:
    Cain
    Without the specific damage numbers being sampled, I'm going to take a wild guess and say there's probably something like critical hits or buffs that aren't accounted for.

2. Everspace I will murder your family

Guild:
    Haberdashery
    Probably I am missing something. I also see wild swings when even all the hits are yellow. I will have a closer inspection tomorrow.

It makes more sense when you say it like that. I believe I was victim of coincidence and doing this at 12:06AM.

3. KShrike

Don't forget there are classes with armor masteries that increase critical damage straight up (IIRC Rogue, don't have one currently so can't check)

4. Talonos

Does the defense calculation imply that if you wore five +15 pinks of any level, you would have over 100% Damage reduction and become immune to physical damage? I mean yeah, good luck with that, but just for argument's sake?

5. Rhaeven

IGN:
    Nachev
    Guild:
    Ingenious
    Server:
    Cain
    Yes. That's completely possible. There was a Striker who achieved this in old DFO with the aid of her base defense, super armor and heavily reinforced armors.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Noriginal ㅡ_ ㅡ

IGN:
    Grass
    Guild:
    Communism
    I tried putting in random values and then added 20 str/int on one try and 6 elemental damage on the second try and the second try gave me more damage. I read up that str/int in the formula is (1+str or int/250) while elemental damage is (1+ele dmg/222) does this mean the elemental damage in the formula is not a 1:1 of the elemental damage that is displayed in your stats tab?

7. Necrofancy Blame Blob™

IGN:
    You already know!
    Server:
    Cain
    It's not 1:1 because enemy resistance is subtracted from your elemental damage. Enemy resistance varies wildly especially when it becomes central to a gimmick. For example, ToDespair APCS could have 4-digit resists to certain elements (hence why they're immune). There's also apparently an Anton gimmick where a mob has physical/magical reduction at like 98.2% compared to most being like 91-92%, BUT they have phases where they have -10k resist to a particular element.

Outside of that, resistances seem to vary between -11 to +40 or so. That amount is subtracted from your element (and yes, negative resist can mean you effectively have more element) and then calculated for the bonus.

8. Sheriff The Deputy Sheriff

IGN:
    5heriff
    Guild:
    Kinetic
    Server:
    Cain
    I know that in Ghent/Oceanic the avg is roughly 75%, and like 80% in Time-Gate, and like 85% in Power Station, and that some Ancients, namely Leshpon, have a really high Defense/Reduction on mobs/Bosses of 95% (if I recall correctly,) but does anyone know what the average, or separate, Damage Reduction values are for OV bosses (in both OV2 and OV3.)

Thanks ^.^

9. S1aa

Thanks both of you. The calculator is super helpful when i'm trying to figure out the balance between Physical Critical/Physical attack (Orisis ring) and straight up elemental damage (burning wave ring, elemental weapons like gracia). So far it seems from calculations the Gracia Norrie ferra +10 would beat out my +10 unique M seal 11.8% crit/55 str gauntlet. That 16 light damage and +1 skills to everything really pulls its weight. The higher you get in crit chance the better it is to switch to elemental, which is pretty cool.

10. How large of a damage increase would only a 15 level difference with the same stats be? Me at 85 and 70 attacking a 70 mob. Sorry for the necro but this question is killing me, the calculator isn't working on mobile, and I'm not home for another 10 hours

11. Sheriff The Deputy Sheriff

IGN:
    5heriff
    Guild:
    Kinetic
    Server:
    Cain
    If we're assuming the level 70 mobs have around 17,000 Defense, thus equaling ~55% damage reduction, at level 85, with the same exact stats and no new gear/weapons, you'd probably be looking at ~50% damage reduction instead. So an ~11% damage increase?

Though generally if you're 15 levels higher you'd have more Stats, better Weapons, higher Skill Levels, and even more Dimensional Seals.. So I don't know why you're asking such a thing. :S

12. Rhaeven

IGN:
    Nachev
    Guild:
    Ingenious
    Server:
    Cain
    Depends on the mob and how much defense they have. For example, if they had... oh... let's say 60% reduction on level (level 70).

Reduction = 60% at Level 70
    R = D / (D + 200L)
    R(D + 200L) = D
    RD + 200LR = D
    200LR = D - RD
    200LR = D(1 - R)
    D = 200LR / (1 - R)
    D = 200(70)(.6) / (1 - .6)
    D = 21000

Reduction at level 85 given D = 21000
    R = D / (D + 200L)
    R = 21000 / (21000 + 200*85)
    R = .55
    New reduction is ~55%

That's about a 12.5% damage increase.

But if we look at a mob with a different defense stat, that figure would be drastically different. For example, if it were a mob with 80% reduction, the damage increase would be something along the lines of 16.5% (using the same method above).

edit:
    This is also an excellent point. Still, I have thought about the same question myself.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Ah thanks for the replies. Reason I ask is because of two reasons. First is I wanted to know just how drastically level contributed to damage and second is I'm trying to find a way for me to fairly record a run of ancient dungeons while being level capped. It's not much of a challenge to run low level ancients at 85 with 80 gear

Now the only thing i need to find out is the stat difference between a 70~ and an 85 so I can sort of gauge the gear level I should use to go about doing this while accounting for dimensional seals. I would imagine there's a Korean site with this dedicated information somewhere and would appreciate it if someone could link me to it.

14. Sheriff The Deputy Sheriff

IGN:
    5heriff
    Guild:
    Kinetic
    Server:
    Cain
    Just wait for True Ancients and run those, they're super high leveled and difficult, so you won't have to worry about overleveling it.

15. Dice Dragon Unofficial Sader main

IGN:
    LittleBobs
    Guild:
    Ingenious
    Server:
    Cain
    Put on all blues or whites. then you wil lget slam jammed.

other then that, there is no point cause non true ancients outside of lesh and maybe GT are pretty easy even in MS for strong classes.

16. ElderGOD

I have that on 3 characters. Just a bunch of 0's for damage when I get hit.

17. Hervey Administrator

Steam:
    baradaki
    The images linked in the guide explaining stats are broken.

18. FenixR Clothing Optional. #CeraCertificatesWhen?

IGN:
    (Any)FenixR(Any)
    Guild:
    28/28 Chars at 86
    Server:
    Cain
    Guess this is a heavy work in progress or abandoned? since the damage section doesn't include elemental damage and % modifiers like smash or elenore like effects.

19. Rhaeven

IGN:
    Nachev
    Guild:
    Ingenious
    Server:
    Cain
    It shouldn't matter. I'll just remove the links later since everyone should know where to find those stats by now.
    Dice has a thread on damage modifiers. This guide covers basics.
    http://www.dfonexus.com/threads/damage-mods-buffs-masteries-and-skill-mods.475/

---

Welp, hitting edit and save on the first page seems to have fixed it. That's bizarre. Less work for me though so I'm not complaining.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  20. ElderGOD

So I was bored and decided to do OV hard on my fnen with 0 exo that has 1.8mil defense (that's the cap, I still hit 1.8mil without wearing top).

Even after the OV penalty because I had 0 exo, I still took 0 damage.

This is interesting.

The next goal is to see how to do damage with no exo.

When black mold rings were still op I could kill 2nd room of void rift with just tiger flash and ex tornado kick.

I want to find something interesting, not just that standard berserk/burning mana set up.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)