Computer Help & Discussion

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Poison, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Brandon Hunger

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/mthCd6
    How does this revised build look?

I didn't change the monitor because I'm fine with that for now. Probably going to buy a second one, too, so I can watch videos while I slowly kill myself farming Hells.

2. matt

Steam:
    matt_jh
    looks fine except the headset

and why do you need a pci ethernet adapter when the mobo has one already

3. Mormolycia Administrator

Server:
    Cain
    When are you exactly making the purchase? I'll come up with something depending on the date since sales pop up.

4. Brandon Hunger

Headset is to hold me over until I can afford something better.

Oops. I meant to add a wireless adapter, not a wired one... I forgot this desktop already has one, though, so I'm just gonna take it out since I don't need to buy another one.
    I'm planning on buying parts this week when my refund check hits. I'd wait for sales closer to Christmas time, but I'm tired of using a piece of shit.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  5. Mormolycia Administrator

Server:
    Cain
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($198.88 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($103.88 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($38.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.71 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($409.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($62.98 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $935.19
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-23 01:15 EDT-0400

Ditch the headset. Get something more affordable for headphones with a zalman clip on mic... @matt tagging you in on this one.

As for the Monitor and Mouse... Try looking at local classifieds otherwise try to bring up some extra cash for a decent monitor that's not AOC ( try asus, benq or samsung depends on sales if worse comes to worse go with acer but seriously fuck AOC). And for mouse if you think the deathadder is fine then go for it... but you may like something like the ZOWIE series of mice or maybe Mionix.

Here's a youtuber I suggest when it comes to mice reviews.

I've also went with 8 gigs of ram because it's pretty cheap right now and you can get another 8 later on ( you'll be fine with 8 right now). I've also dropped down to a locked version of an i5 because you won't be overclocking there isn't a huge need to do so as you'll be running everything at high settings at ease. As for the SSD that's something you can get LATER ON because it isn't a must and all of the cuts I've made are in order for you to get the GTX 1070 which is the main focus of this build.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  6. matt

Steam:
    matt_jh
  7. Brandon Hunger

8. Mormolycia Administrator

Server:
    Cain
    I hope you didn't open atleast the box for the graphics card... because you are missing out on alot of frames by going with the 1060.

The build I linked costs just about the same/less than the one you linked even if you include the mouse monitor and headphones and outperforms it pretty hard.

9. Brandon Hunger

It's too late.

10. Garyuu *sigh*

IGN:
    BlueMagnolia
    Steam:
    StigroOne
    Guild:
    August
    Server:
    Cain
    This is the first place where I want to ask. Anyone know what causes an OS (Windows 7, in my case) to not boot up at all? I give my laptop the username and password, and then it just...loads. I still see "Welcome" on the screen and even though it looks like it's loading, it's not booting up. I end up turning off the laptop and trying again every time that happens. Is it a hardware problem?

11. manny3574 The Feral Hunter

IGN:
    Eld3rWyrm
    Guild:
    BasedGods
    Server:
    Cain
    $250 best pc u can make GO!

btw hook ur hard drive to another comp is not dat hard imo and c if that comp boots might be corrupted if nat is just some flaky windows 7 thing so just upgrade to 10 fo free

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Artistic Artistic x 1
    • List
  12. James ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

13. matt

Steam:
    matt_jh
    with massdrop you'll get your item in a year

14. James ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

yea, i know. but its a really good deal (in terms of cost at least) and ive been semi-interested in a keyboard for a little while now. i'm not in any real need for one so waiting until november to get my shit doesnt bother me all that much

problem is that i don't know anything about mech keyboards other than simple shit like color switches, so i don't know if this is a good investment regardless of the price cut

15. manny3574 The Feral Hunter

IGN:
    Eld3rWyrm
    Guild:
    BasedGods
    Server:
    Cain
    mechanical keyboards have actual switches underneath them that give the keyboard the *click* sound thats more apparant as well as having a better response time due to the fact the the physical switch is sending a signal as opposed to a regular keyboard.

16. legacy

hello friendos, my 2nd monitor came in(hp 25vx) exactly the same as my pavilion 25bw hp. I'm going to be using dual monitors, however, my GPU, gigabyte r9 280x only has one DVI-I port and an HDMI port, I don't know which adapter will work with what, and I don't want to keep returning to stores or ordering different cables before I get the right one. while this guys problem is similar it is not exactly the same, but it has some problems that I may run into, and I'd like to avoid those: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2373780/dual-monitors-280x.html

if you guys know which cable I should get to use dual monitors, id very much appreciate it, thanks.

edit: ordered this,
    HDMI to DVI Cable, Rankie CL3 Rated High Speed Bi-Directional HDMI HDTV to DVI Cable 6ft - R1107
    , coming in tomorrow, hope it works out
    cant link directly to amazon for some reason

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  17. Khanjali KO

IGN:
    Khanjali
    Guild:
    N/A
    Server:
    Cain
    So my computer went through a series of BSOD's that were mostly resolved by a re-install of the OS.
    Unfortunately it appears that the OS is still corrupted in places and neither SFC nor DISM are able to fix the problem, so I'm going to be nuking everything and start from a fresh install.

Does anyone know if the fresh install will use brand new data or will it attempt to draw from any data previously found on the drive?

• Burn Heal Burn Heal x 1
    • List
  18. Khanjali KO

IGN:
    Khanjali
    Guild:
    N/A
    Server:
    Cain
    So, after finally reaching a stable clean install of Windows 10, I found my problem:
    A bad RAM stick.

Gonna work with just 1 for now until I can find a good deal on a 2 or 4 set.

19. juicetin

Hi, do you think an Dell XPS 13 with the new i7 kaby lake dual core with 16gb ram and 512gb ssd will have an issue playing dfo and doing stuff like raid and what not?

Another bit of info, I have to buy it before the end of this year due to taxes, so I cannot wait for the new dell xps 15 model with kaby lake and gtx1050 etc etc + I would like to carry around a light ultraportable laptop for work and some light gaming (DFO) in between.

full specs are here down below
    SPECS AT A GLANCE: KABY LAKE DELL XPS 13
    SCREEN
    3200×1800 IPS at 13.3" (276 PPI)
    OS Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    CPU 2.7-3.5GHz Core i7-7500U
    RAM 16GB 1866MHz LPDDR3
    GPU Intel HD Graphics 620
    HDD 512GB PCIe SSD
    NETWORKING Dual-band Killer 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 2x2, Bluetooth 4.1
    PORTS USB Type-C Thunderbolt 3, 2× USB 3.0, SD card reader, headphone/microphone dual jack
    SIZE 11.98 × 7.88 × 0.33-0.6"
    WEIGHT 2.9 lbs
    BATTERY 4-cell 60Whr Li-polymer

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Artistic Artistic x 1
    • List
  20. Antonio Useless creator

This will work fine for you, but it is never late to have that PC, because you could play some games that requires a rating of 6.0/possibly 7.0 (I am talking about these points in Windows 7, but I have Windows 10)

Also when you buy that PC, if YOU HAVE an antivirus, UNINSTALL it. Windows Defender has worked fine for me; if in Windows Vista/7 Microsoft Security Essentials was not useful, that updated Defender should work fine.
    There is no need to install any antivirus: Windows Defender may not be the best, but it has good capacity as all good antivirus...

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)