Chase Launcher and other skill keys / inputs

Discussion in 'Battlemage' started by saccharin, Apr 7, 2015.

1. brookie

IGN:
    Atakiro/Sysslena
    Yea since if you start holding keys it'll change where you curve as you uppercut, so it essentially makes up-Z and down-Z must-lock. Hence why the hotkey (if you look it says ZWERCB on the top row)
    soooo i did that.

2. teru

Middle row:
    H: Palm Blast
    G: Attack
    F: Sky Assault
    D: Dragon Fang
    S: Chaser Launcher

By default, the index finger goes on G, and pinky on S. I've set it up this way because these are the most frequently-used skills in Battle Mage combos. You can easily do any mix of regular attacks, upper, df, and toss in chasers any time you like.

Top row:
    Y: Stabbing Wheel
    T: Double Swing
    R: Punto Wave
    E: Meteor Assault
    W: Golden Dragon Spear

Bottom row:
    V: Full Swing
    B: Chaser Fusion

For manual skill input, I use A as the "Z" key, and Z as "Space".

I don't use arrow keys for movement. I use OKL; for up, left, down, right. The reason for this is because then I can put the pinky of my right hand on the ' key, where I bind Backstep. Jump is bound to space, which I use the thumb of my right hand for. This way, all movement is handled entirely by the right hand, so that the left hand can focus on attacks and skills only. And this way, backstep and jump are always ready in any scenario.

If you're playing on a laptop, you could actually do something even better. Because the gap between the F key row and the number key row is usually very small on laptops, you could actually use something like F11, 9, 0, and - as your movement keys, \ for Backstep, and your thumb goes on M for jump. This allows your left thumb to again use the Space bar as a manual skill input key, so that it's much much easier to sneak in a manual cast of Mana Shield, Chaser Generator, or Disenchant (really this is the only time you'll ever get in a successful Disenchant in a real match) for example if you launch your opponent super high into the air (sky assault + light chaser usually does the job) during the middle of a combo and need something to do while you're waiting for them to fall.

If you're super cool, you'd use this time to cast Leap, and then embrace your inner flying loli as you take to the skies to meet them in the air and whack them with your stick.

3. jmdude Dead Classes of DFO

Guild:
    Ingenious/Communism
    Server:
    Cain
    this is weird but i think i might try it, only thing is every time im not a battle mage i think ill switch the hotkey back to something random.
    I also tried my chaser launcher on s and v it's feels clunky but then again I never have chasers

4. ?????????????????? okl for movement?

5. jmdude Dead Classes of DFO

Guild:
    Ingenious/Communism
    Server:
    Cain
    it doesn't seem so bad, it actually seems like it would be easier to use a few hotkeys with that

6. teru

O, K, L, and semicolon key [;] for up, left, down, right. I do this because if you use arrow keys, your right pinky and thumb can't reach any other keys and so just sort of sit there uselessly.

Using OKL; I can put my pinky on the ['] key and bind Backstep to that, as well as put my thumb on Space and bind jump to that. Really though, I'd rather have the left thumb use Space, and the right thumb use M. But for this to be comfortable, I'd have to shift the movement keys up a row, and there's really no good "WASD" key pattern to use in the numbers row of the keyboard; they're all spaced too weirdly.

So on laptops you'd use the F11 key for your Up key, along with 9, 0, and [-] for left, down, and right. On most laptops, the location pattern for these keys matches the location pattern for the regular arrow keys, so it's comfortable enough. And then this lets you put your right thumb on M comfortably, so you free up Space to be used for your left thumb.

It can be a bit confusing and takes some getting used to, but really all it is is moving the movement hotkeys from the arrow keys to somewhere else on the keyboard so that you can put your right thumb and pinky on other useful keys as well.

Note that if you're using a laptop keyboard or something and you do this, you need to be familiar with your keyboard enough so you can avoid keyboard ghosting. There are some keys you don't want to map your movement to, because certain simultaneous keystroke combinations on some keyboards don't all register, depending on the keyboard.

7. Lil Puddin Duke of Diabeetus

IGN:
    ALOT
    It kind of is if all you do is use your main attacks, fusion chaser, and chaser spam launch while mashing X in between. It's just a very finger-active kinda brain dead. Sometimes my brain just glazes over and I spam buttons, the room somehow gets cleared, and I do it all over again. Though when I actually try, things die a bit too fast.

8. Dubin carried by fmage

literally me when I'm playing battle mage

9. witch is literally EMM, foward space, up up z, down down z, T3, scrub for clean up

10 keystrokes is all you need

10. brookie

IGN:
    Atakiro/Sysslena
    Recently rebound my movement keys to PL;'
    Didn't want to go OKL; because I use K for the skills, but PL;' didn't conflict with anything (except arena, which i moved to '0').
    Not too much difference except now i won't get carpal tunnel syndrome from really bad wrist posture, and faster switching to typing since i don't need to move as far.

11. dafrorock I am become death

IGN:
    dafrorock
    Guild:
    homodachis
    I'm lame and use the default set up, and I have chaser launcher on A

12. brookie

IGN:
    Atakiro/Sysslena
    I used to have chaser launcher on A.
    Not a good idea i tell you if you use Z for uppercut, or side-Z for dragon fang (unless you use another finger) imo.

13. dafrorock I am become death

IGN:
    dafrorock
    Guild:
    homodachis
    late reply is late
    I use S for uppercut and having chaser launcher on A has worked out really well for me

and now i've been playing pretty much just my BM recently and now when I try to play another class I find myself mashing A and it's messed me up a few times :fmage:

14. Tsvanni {CAIN} MasterOfPony, QuietLamb, SheLamb

IGN:
    Edgemistress
    Server:
    Cain
    I saw this was posted like weeks ago, but necroing (that's not technically necroing, is it?)

My setup uses Space as a chaser, which is what I do with my chain rush for EK too, image pending

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)