Battle Mage General Discussion

Discussion in 'Battlemage' started by Lucifer, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Napk1nZ

ok thanks , i dont have to change from str to int right? since all my equip are str based except my insignia with phy and str

2. mMarikom I actually never know what I'm doing

IGN:
    Foleo, PrincessSama
    Guild:
    Factory
    Server:
    Cain
    IIRC Multirole works with in-dungeon stats now so you shouldn't have to change no.

3. Fuyumi Homeless

IGN:
    Fuyumi
    Guild:
    ●▅▇█▇▆▅▄▇
    Server:
    Cain
    To be honest in that setup i'd still use the Liberation over twinkle unless it was Love Love. :fmage:

4. Napk1nZ

oh yea i forgot that theres 2 version of it, i meant the lv85 pole one haha

5. Amelia

Hi everyone! I recently returned to DFO and I made a linked Battle Mage. I got lucky with Hell Mode over the weekend so I'm not quite sure where to go from here.

For epics, I have a +12 Infinity Piercing, Cold Princess Bracelet, and Assassin's Blade Ring.
    For Armor I'm just running the Olympus set. I'm not sure if a Halidom set is stronger than it but the Olympus set was free and the +200 stats was a great boost.

I'm starting my Gracia armor but unfortunately I know it might take a couple months before I finish it. Am I just forced to grind Gracia pieces for months?
    I'm not exactly sure what I should do in the meantime other than pray for epic armor drops. Also are chron sets worth it? I heard that you can farm a whole set much faster now but I'm unsure if the relentless chaser set is worth the time with my weapon.

Should I be stacking Int or Str for emblems? Right now my Int is 4 points higher without Str shoes but I really enjoy the move speed on shoe avatars.

What is the fastest way to get stronger and improve my Battle Mage?

I appreciate any help you guys can give me. Thank you!

6. Zubat

You can try getting dual steady fast or sleek striker sets for chronicle if you wish for a placeholder. Stacking Int is easier.

7. Amelia

Yeah, currently I have 3 Piece Dual Steady Fast. I'm using them as my Magic Stone/Sub Equip and Necklace. I heard this set gets a buff when the changes come in so I opted to get it with the free boxes. I also enjoy Full Swing.

8. epiphenom

IGN:
    Kassantha
    Okay, that's a lot of questions, but I think it distills down to just one. Fundamentally, you're asking, what's the battlemage gear upgrade path?

I'll tackle the Str/Int part first. It's a harder question to answer for battle mages because, on account of Multirole and the way we do damage we can basically use everything. The only thing we were previously unable to use was +MAtk% and the epic revamp turned every instance of that into +MAtk% +IA. As a result it's not possible to give a blanket recommendation for Strength or Int because it depends on what you have. One of the downsides to this is that we're one of a handful of classes where a single piece of gear can flip the optimal stat from one to the other. I expect most of us just deal with the minor inefficiencies instead of re-embleming and enchanting everything, especially when the difference can be so potentially small. Unless you're so well funded as to do that, the right answer is probably "stack whatever's correct for you now and just stick to it unless a bunch of epics point the other way".

Anyway, to give a simple outline: the most basic, farmable, guaranteed raid-ready setup is a Liberation weapon with Gracia 6pc and Gigantic Presence 3pc, which is a lot of EX Noire Ferra and Anton Normal. It's also the minimum acceptable setup: GP, in particular, does very little for us, but it's the best farmable choice. Anything below this is less than optimal.

Everyone starts with magic seals, basically, and Halidoms and the Olympus set are probably a notch above that. Everything in between, such as the chron sets, of which Relentless Chaser is still fine and Dual Steady Fast is also good, is only really good as bridge gear: a way to get you from purples to Gracia + GP. If you're already doing EX Noire Ferra and Anton Normal at an acceptable rate, you don't need to get any bridge gear. If you aren't, that's where the chron sets come in, because 9pc RC and 9pc DSF are more than equal to the task of farming Gracia + GP. The 3 and 6 piece bonuses are also reasonable placeholders. I do not recommend wasting Antonium upgrading either.

Outside all of this progression stands epic gear. It's hard to account for because there's no way to predict what any particular player will get or when they will get it and because so many pieces are useful. Since we can use so many epics, again, it's impossible to make specific recommendations. Some legendary sealed gear can be used kind of like epics in off-slots too. Again, we can use so much of it that it's not really possible to specifically talk about any one or two things.

There are a few general guidelines. Break GP before Gracia, if you have to. The six best pieces of Gracia are the five armor slots and the sub-equipment, but don't be afraid to take other pieces if you have to because random epics do not beat the 6pc bonus. This setup notably lacks both a smash and a crit smash mod so getting those on other slots is a very high priority (for example, the Olympus pet right now has 10% smash on a non-equipment slot). If Int and Str are close or tied, lean Int because you get more from avatars.

The most valuable mods to us are fairly similar to the ones from other classes. Namely, we really like +% damage bonuses of all kinds and elemental damage. Critical chance is relatively less valuable for us than for some other classes, because we can cap crit just from skills.

For an example of these guidelines applied, I can see a potential path for you where you don't get the whole GP set, but instead accessorize something like GP Neck + Great Glory Bracelet + Assassin's Blade Ring. You'd probably need an elemental damage pet, like this summer's Samba pet, to round out the setup, since GP + Olympus pet is probably better if you don't have anything good for the creature slot. If such a pet were to show up soonish you could probably do that and skip farming a lot of Antonium.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Fuyumi Homeless

IGN:
    Fuyumi
    Guild:
    ●▅▇█▇▆▅▄▇
    Server:
    Cain
    Love Love > Liberation So you should be using that.

10. so i am a fresh 86 does anyone have an updated guide since the class reworks? also what plats should i be going for (I'm Going Magical not phys)

11. Jormungandr

IGN:
    Indignate
    Server:
    Cain
    There's no physical or magical bm anymore. The difference is basically if you use magical teana or not depending on which is stronger and what sader you have. epiphenom makes a very good point on that matter here: http://dfonexus.com/threads/battle-mage-general-discussion.586/page-87#post-358086

Plats don't really matter. Mastery only adds to patk and crit, but your crit should be capped with shadow chaser and fusion chaser anyway.

For builds nothing really changed. We got more sp so we can max out dragon spear and dash. I grabbed spear tp and 1 in dash. Punto tp is at 4 and I removed FS tp.

There will be more changes when we get the 2nd rework.

12. Erollisi

IGN:
    Erollisi
    Guild:
    VagrantEX
    Post 2nd rework, this is a top 10 kdnf battlemage. He uses a pole but is physical.

Save this link for later

• List
  13. Fuyumi Homeless

IGN:
    Fuyumi
    Guild:
    ●▅▇█▇▆▅▄▇
    Server:
    Cain
    HavenHide has Magical Teana activated pretty sure that makes him magical.:fupa2:

14. Erollisi

IGN:
    Erollisi
    Guild:
    VagrantEX
    His damage conversion is set to physical, and he always runs with vit sader in luke. He ticks magical teana because he takes advantage from I.atk more than strength from his sets

• List
  15. epiphenom

IGN:
    Kassantha
    Damage conversion on physical, Wild Dragon Dance unticked, Magical Teana on, TP into Full Swing and Meteor Dash, two purely physical skills. Also uses a pole and stacks int. If there's a better video to show that there's no hard magical/physical line I can't imagine what it would be. Korean battlemages effortlessly hybridize, and we should do the same.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  16. Cross187

IGN:
    FlashLuna
    To further explain why INT-stacking still works with a VIT Sader: Even an INT-stacking BM has a lot of physical-therefore percent-power, especially with a +12 weapon, like Haven Hide has. Magical Teana only changes Teana's attacks (at that level, Teana is rarely used, so that's irrelevant) and Apostilize's chasers (iirc, Quasar is also added to Magical Teana, making the only major burst skill that wouldn't be percent). All the other attacks are still physical. Getting more p.atk out of a VIT Sader's Strike is just more viable than taking higher INT from a SPR Sader's Wisdom Blessing/DI. Keep in mind that the m.atk from Wisdom is useless to BM, since she doesn't have any magic percent skills. And it's not like you aren't getting INT from a VIT Sader; just not as much. Concerning Blessing of Dawn, that's averaged between VIT and SPR, so it's a theoretical equal increase, either way.
    tl;dr, BM may be hybrid, but she's still primarily physical percent. Even with INT, VIT Sader is almost unanimously the better option.

• Classy Classy x 1
    • List
  17. Amelia

I really appreciate the detailed input. Its definitely nice that Battle Mages are so versatile. You really helped give me an idea of what to do next.
    I think I'll skip chrons all together as I'm not having too much trouble in EX dungeons. I'll just slowly farm out the Gracia set/hope for epics.

I still have some questions if you guys don't mind.
    Are there any other sets I can get quickly to be able to Raid or is Gracia the minimum need?

I was also wondering why do battle mages turn off all chasers except Neutral. Doesn't that become a problem when trying to generate chasers in dungeons using sklills?
    I know Evo chasers buffs all stats and skills still generate chasers even with them turned off but I find myself not using evo chaser because of the lack of splash damage. It also seems much weaker than regular chasers especially in Apostle form.

Does neutral chaser inflict any element in normal/Evo/Teana/Apostle form?

Also how exactly does Magical Teana work? I tried testing it on Nugol but I'm having a hard time figuring out which is best. The damage seems mostly the same. Is there a cut off point between Physical or Magical Teana being the better option?

And lastly what does the skill Seal do? It's description doesn't really match what it says in the skill's information.

Sorry for all of the questions. Thank you!

18. Zubat

People turn off all chasers except Neutral in order to not mess up their element if they're locked on to a certain one, since neutral element becomes w/e element your weapon is. Evolution/Dragon/Apostilize chasers will give all buffs regardless of element, so they can just turn that on, do a chaser press and receive all buffs.
    Chaser generation is no longer a major problem.
    Evolution chasers are only good for single target; in your non-transformed state they are stronger than your regular chasers. Apostilize chasers are stronger by far however.

Magical teana will not make a big difference unless your physical atk stat is ass compared to your independent atk. Magical Teana is usually the better option unless you have obscene patk.
    Seal lowers your abnormal status tolerance boost from Apostilize; normally in your 2A you'll be immune to almost all statuses. This passive allows you to use status-condition items like Razor Queen or Refined Chaos Stone necklace

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  19. Amelia

Ahhh I understand now. I'll keep Magic Teana off for now. My iatk is only around 2k while my patk is around 18k in town.

Thank you, I appreciate the help!

20. so can someone get me a current skeleton build so i know what i should be running?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)